Texas Hunting Forum

Sunflowers without plowing

Posted By: Red Pill

Sunflowers without plowing - 07/26/21 09:18 PM

Can you get sunflowers to grow without plowing? I see volunteer sunflowers all the time at the side of the road. I'd like to plant some, but neither I nor the landowner have a tractor, plow, or ATV.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Sunflowers without plowing - 07/26/21 09:55 PM

Take an old gate that has a cattle panel on it. You can hand-cast the seed, then use a pickup/chain to drag the gate over the area. This will work if you have a somewhat barren patch of ground; if all you have is thick grass, you'll need a different approach. You can also check with the local feedstore. There are likely several custom farm services in your area that could plow for you.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Sunflowers without plowing - 07/26/21 09:59 PM

Dirt has to be disturbed. Animals feeding and distributing soil will bring up sunflowers. If you can just drag and scratch the soil the best you can, when the soil moisture is right, and the right time of year you'll get some to come up if they were there in the past. But plowing is by far the best way.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Sunflowers without plowing - 09/28/21 07:46 PM

Sunflowers need to be covered well, but they also can take a while to germinate. I planted 50 pounds 1 year in good soil and they didn't come up until the next year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum