Texas Hunting Forum

Protein in a feeder

Posted By: throckmorton_hunter

Protein in a feeder - 04/24/21 10:20 PM

Can I feed protein out of a feeder ??
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Protein in a feeder - 04/24/21 11:03 PM

Yes but protein on the ground swells fast. It sucks in moisture quickly.

It can also swell in the feed come on top of the spinner plate also
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Protein in a feeder - 04/24/21 11:57 PM

Free choice feeder, yes. Spin type like a corn feeder, I wouldn't recommend. BoBo is right, protein feed on the ground is not a good idea.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Protein in a feeder - 04/26/21 01:44 AM

What you can use and works pretty well is the roasted soybeans mixed with corn. I’ve run almost 2k lbs of it within the last year thru my corn feeders. Deer are happy, Turkey like it more than I’d prefer and it’s about $2-3 a 50lb bag more than corn at Shoppin Baskit in Ballinger or Coleman.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Protein in a feeder - 04/26/21 01:49 AM

I used a mix of corn and protein pellets in my spin feeder for years at my place by Luckenbach. Behrends Feed. (They're in Harper too.)
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Protein in a feeder - 05/01/21 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by throckmorton_hunter
Can I feed protein out of a feeder ??

Assuming you mean a timed broadcast feeder. The short answer is yes you can. If you are doing it with the intent that you are going to see the preferred results of supplemental protein feeding, I'd spend my money elsewhere. Free choice feeders for protein would be the preferred method if you are seeking to achieve some level of improvement to overall deer health, increased body weight, improved antler development, increased fawn survival, etc
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Protein in a feeder - 05/14/21 02:11 AM

I can pretty much guarantee that if you use a spin feeder to feed protein that with any moisture (rain) it will clog up and 2) if you put corn in with the protein the raccoons will spill it all on the ground and then defecate in your protein after they ate all the corn.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Protein in a feeder - 05/14/21 01:09 PM

yes, don't.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Protein in a feeder - 05/14/21 03:24 PM

You can feed protein out of spin feeder but you will need to alter the spinner plate to feed protein better. Depending on your location and rainfall it can be a waste of time to feed protein on the ground in sandy soils or high rainfall areas. A feed pen is a must if you try it. My recommendation would be to invest in a timered trough style protein feeder. It will give you better results and a much better return on your investment. I would feed year round and adjust my feeding times by the season at the time. Feeding x amount of feed per day year round will benefit x amount of deer year round. X amount of deer are making a daily trip to the feeder. During the rut those deer stay close the feeder or they could drag in new deer to the feeder. Post rut the bucks will return to the feeder once they are used to it or raised around it.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Protein in a feeder - 05/21/21 12:04 PM

I’d hate to have any amount of protein feed mixed in with my corn at my place on East Texas with as much rain as we’ve had.

Would be one big mess to clean up.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum