Texas Hunting Forum

Rookie

Posted By: Ramblin’

Rookie - 04/04/21 01:20 AM

Don’t have a tractor on site yet. How do the pull behind tillers work on 4-wheelers.
We are going to try to get something going for the fall plant.
I found one that you can add weight onto to break the soil better. Just wondering if they are effective.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Rookie - 04/04/21 01:49 AM

Rent a tractor, unless the grounds been worked heavily in the past the small tillers take FOREVER to get anything done. I have one behind the shop that I used once and it’s worthless IMO. You can rent a 50 horse tractor and tiller or disc and get done In a day what would take the ATV tiller a month. Had a spot I couldn't get the tractor into so I bought one and it wasn’t a wise decision, I’ve let a few friends borrow it and it’s always the same response, that thing sucks roflmao
Posted By: Ramblin’

Re: Rookie - 04/04/21 01:58 AM

Haha. Thanks Thumper. Ground has never been worked. I imagine it’s like busting concrete.
Just saved me some beer $$$
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Rookie - 04/04/21 02:12 AM

clap can’t be wasting beer money clap
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Rookie - 04/05/21 02:49 PM

4 wheelers aren't geared to work like a tractor. Trying to do so can get expensive.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Rookie - 04/05/21 06:45 PM

agree with the others unless you are in very sandy soil ... then would need to shred/mow, the plow. one of our lease members had one in east TX that worked pretty good but that is deep sandy soil where he used it.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Rookie - 04/05/21 07:07 PM

Might call the local ag. teacher at the high school and see if he has any students you could hire with a tractor and equipment to get the work done. Might come out cheaper and help a local out.
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Rookie - 04/08/21 10:04 PM

Here is what i use:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Rookie - 04/14/21 11:40 PM

Yep, rent a tractor. Much easier and faster to get what you want done. Plus it will do a much better job resulting in a much better food plot.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Rookie - 04/15/21 07:42 PM

Talk to the neighbors, one of them will have a high school kid that will borrow daddy's tractor and equipment, for a $100 plus a nice tip, the job will be done right. If not that route, check with the local high school ag teacher, he will know a kid that could use the money and will do a good job.
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Rookie - 04/16/21 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Talk to the neighbors, one of them will have a high school kid that will borrow daddy's tractor and equipment, for a $100 plus a nice tip, the job will be done right. If not that route, check with the local high school ag teacher, he will know a kid that could use the money and will do a good job.

Those are 1998 prices, not 2021 prices. $600 an acre is a good figure for a turn-key operation. IF you buy the seed, fertilizer and plant it yourself it can be cheaper.
© 2022 Texas Hunting Forum