Texas Hunting Forum

Clover, anybody planted, know anything about

Posted By: Gringocazador

Clover, anybody planted, know anything about - 09/20/20 08:32 PM

Last year I bought red ripper cowpeas and the girl at the online seed store said to plan clover with it too. I don’t remember if it came up or not. I found a bag that I didn’t plant. I threw it out by one of my bow stands the other day and it’s coming up pretty good even in low light.

I have no idea If deer like it or not, how long it hangs around once weather changes. I can’t remember the name of it, seems like it’s starts with an A and is hard to say lol. I know cover seeds are really small.

Anybody plant clover.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Clover, anybody planted, know anything about - 09/21/20 11:32 AM

Arrowleaf clover?
It can help add Nitrogen to the soil, which can help ‘fertilize’ the cowpeas.
Deer will eat it too once they get used to it.

Re: Clover, anybody planted, know anything about - 09/21/20 11:50 AM

I think it was Alyce clover.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Clover, anybody planted, know anything about - 09/23/20 06:47 PM

We did crimson clover last year. The plot did get more attention it seemed.

Re: Clover, anybody planted, know anything about - 09/24/20 02:15 AM

Those clover seeds are really small. I just threw mine out by hand, only had one bag. If I had it to do all over again I would have tried to spread out more, seeds didn't throw real far. If this clover works out, next year will have to come up with a different plan to scatter them better.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Clover, anybody planted, know anything about - 09/24/20 03:37 AM

I use a Wiz. You can adjust the spread.

Re: Clover, anybody planted, know anything about - 09/25/20 02:22 AM

I had to google what a Wizz was. Hopper to small or cowpeas etc. but I bet would work good for clover as small as the seeds are. Will try that next year.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Clover, anybody planted, know anything about - 09/25/20 09:56 PM

I will be putting some crimson clover in this weekend as well as daikon radish. Hoping the radish will use N from the clover to self fertilizer, while opening up the soil.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Clover, anybody planted, know anything about - 09/26/20 04:20 PM

I planted a mix from justin seed last year in several spots that contained clover. I was very impressed the clover lasted all the way through spring and was a big attractant to pollinator bees in the spring when they flowered.

The plots did really well witht he mix and I am anxious to see how they do this year with the same mix.

Re: Clover, anybody planted, know anything about - 09/26/20 07:41 PM

I hope to get to the least next week and check my plots. WIth the rain we got in East Texas should be doing pretty good. I have some clover around my bow stand, be interesting to see how its doing.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Clover, anybody planted, know anything about - 10/10/20 12:27 PM

I use clovers with other food plot crops for a lot reasons; variety, the nitrogen content, life span, etc. I've started to stay away from mixes, so usually the clover is overseeded up to a month later depending what was put in first. For success, match the clover variety to your soil. It can be simple as googling the variety on the bag label. The only thing I don't like about clover is the burrs if it goes into the warmer weather. This year I will be using Spineless MEDIC Cavalier, purchased locally through Pogue Seeds.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum