Texas Hunting Forum

Food Plot for North Texas

Posted By: haslethunter

Food Plot for North Texas - 08/16/20 10:06 PM

Getting ready to plant 4 food plots in September. The bucks have been scarce this off season compared to years past. What would be the recommended type of plot to plant to entice them back?
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Food Plot for North Texas - 08/17/20 07:37 PM

Hard to beat wheat
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Food Plot for North Texas - 08/17/20 08:39 PM

100lbs oats and 50lbs Austrian winter peas per acre.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Food Plot for North Texas - 08/22/20 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
100lbs oats and 50lbs Austrian winter peas per acre.

this plus clover. We have planted at this time in Lamar county the last 2yrs with good success. We are waiting until end of the first or second week of October this year so that we have lots of new growth opening weekend and the oats will mature mid December.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Food Plot for North Texas - 09/01/20 02:48 PM

I don't get enough rain for the fancy stuff, I just plant wheat and have plenty of success with it.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Food Plot for North Texas - 09/02/20 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by westtexaswatkins
I don't get enough rain for the fancy stuff, I just plant wheat and have plenty of success with it.

My thoughts exactly. No idea if that other stuff works in our area but I know wheat does.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Food Plot for North Texas - 09/02/20 04:24 AM

Justin seed has a good mix with clover, it’s 38 per 50#, and has oats, wheat, barley, peas, clover, turnips and radishes or rape (can’t remember which).

If you get enough rain to have wheat come up this will come up Nicely and will give a pleasing palate of good variety and different options for time of season. Can be drilled or broadcast, drill shallow or just broadcast and pack or lightly (very lightly) cover with a drag or similar.

I used this blend last year and plan to use again this year. Had great clover going all the way into summer with the plots.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Food Plot for North Texas - 09/14/20 09:57 PM

Thats similar to Turners fall deer mix as well. I used Mr Ts recipe last year, and decided to mix in some reddish and clover this year. Using a mix or cereal grains as well, but 100% oats came up good last year. My cereal rye did better in one spot, so I will try the Turner Mix thats has it all on an acre plot to compare.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Food Plot for North Texas - 09/14/20 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by PoppinPiggies
Hard to beat wheat

up
Posted By: okiehuntr

Re: Food Plot for North Texas - 09/19/20 12:00 PM

Top Notch has a great product that I have been using the past couple years and Turkeys love it in the spring
okie
Posted By: JGL Hunting

Re: Food Plot for North Texas - 10/07/20 09:26 PM

Wheat always works for me!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Food Plot for North Texas - 10/10/20 11:03 AM

Plant turnips with wheat. That stuff works unless you have as many hogs as I do.
Posted By: Daddybigbuck

Re: Food Plot for North Texas - 10/13/20 01:33 AM

I had planned on planting Turners fall deer mix but our biologist told us to plant wheat so we panted wheat on Oct. 9th.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum