Texas Hunting Forum

sowing and fertilizing at the same time?

Posted By: activescrape

sowing and fertilizing at the same time? - 08/03/20 06:42 PM

Is there a downside to broadcasting fall crop seed and then broadcast the fertilizer and cultipack it all at the same time?
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: sowing and fertilizing at the same time? - 08/03/20 06:51 PM

It really depends on the site. A soil test can answer alot of questions. If you are correcting a soil nutrient deficiency based on a soil test, it's best to fertilize well before you plant so that the fertilizer has a chance to start working
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: sowing and fertilizing at the same time? - 08/03/20 07:01 PM

I like to get my seed in the ground and growing before I fertilize. I have found that by waiting I have less issues with army worms it seems. I like to wait till the see comes up, see how good the stand and how much rain I got after the planting. Then around late Oct to early Nov I try to time a rain and put out any fertilizer. Like posted above it is better to put it out before you plant. I use a grain drill and I could do that but with the heat/army worms I tend to wait on my fertilizer. If I were discing, seeding and then dragging to cover I would definitely wait on applying fertilizer to make sure I had a decent rainfall/stand.
Posted By: activescrape

Re: sowing and fertilizing at the same time? - 08/03/20 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Country01
It really depends on the site. A soil test can answer alot of questions. If you are correcting a soil nutrient deficiency based on a soil test, it's best to fertilize well before you plant so that the fertilizer has a chance to start working

I just contacted TAMU extension office about this today. They are mailing bags etc andsaythe testing takes 7-10 business days for results.
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: sowing and fertilizing at the same time? - 08/03/20 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by activescrape
Originally Posted by Big_Country01

I just contacted TAMU extension office about this today. They are mailing bags etc andsaythe testing takes 7-10 business days for results.

Good deal. It is a small price to pay to be able to know exactly what you are dealing with!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: sowing and fertilizing at the same time? - 08/17/20 08:44 PM

Been doing that for years and I get some great foodplots.
Posted By: cos

Re: sowing and fertilizing at the same time? - 08/17/20 09:08 PM

Its a gamble tring to time the rain around here so I have started waiting till around the 1st week of October to plant when rain is in forecast. Local feedstore blends my seed ( 100lbs seed mix and 200 lbs of fertilize per acre) and puts it in a buggy for me. Well prepared seed bed and I spread it and disk it in. Either roll or tire drag behind disk. Waiting a little later also reduces chance of army worms. I do it that way so as to have as much height as I can for opening weekend. Rut in full swing here then. Most of the time I have plenty for them to eat opening weekend.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: sowing and fertilizing at the same time? - 08/18/20 11:47 AM

I only plant one 10 acre spot and one 2 acre spot, but i fertilize and seed at the same time. 100 lbs of wheat and oats mixed and 250 lbs of a balanced fertilizer, per acre. Been planting that way for over 30 years. 2 years had army worms, but the wild pigs are far worse the army worms on my place.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: sowing and fertilizing at the same time? - 08/18/20 11:55 AM

I do it at the same time. Get one of the feed store fertilizer spreaders filled up with fertilizer, throw it at about 275-300 pounds per acre, then pour a mix of 2-1 wheat and oats in the spreader, go back over the plots and then drag it in. Has worked just fine so far.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: sowing and fertilizing at the same time? - 08/18/20 12:30 PM

When I planted plots, I would mix seed and fertilizer together to make the seed go further when spreading. However, I agree with those who say it's best to wait until the seed is up and growing before fertilizing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum