Texas Hunting Forum

Too good to be true

Posted By: ELKMTB

Too good to be true - 07/03/20 04:16 PM

Buck ration corn and soybean mix claims 22% protein. the corn keeps in from gumming up when it gets wet. $10-12 a 50 pound bag

Protein pellets for deer disintegrate and get gummed up when its damp

Been using buck ration in my spin feeder for a long time. just recently started putting in my protien feeder. Deer will ignore it for periods of time then destroy it.

Is there a difference between the two in terms of nutrition?

Also tip- mix in some turkey scratch in your feeder in the spring and you'll have all kind of treats growing up i your feeder pen in May.

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Too good to be true - 07/03/20 04:22 PM

Protein will have trace minerals and other ingredients that deer antlers “need” for maximal growth. Buck ration does not.

Can deer find those things naturally? Sure. But if your area is deficient, then by feeding buck ration all year you may be not maximizing nutrition.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Too good to be true - 07/03/20 06:43 PM

Quit using a plastic feeder.
If your using metal, then you need some type of air vent, though I have a feeling you using plastic.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Too good to be true - 07/03/20 08:49 PM

All grain is harvested and bagged with some moisture content. All pelleted feeds are manufactured with some moisture in them. Tightly sealed feeders witll cause the feed/grain inside to condensate up under the lid then rain back down on top of the feed below it. Slow feeding rates and high humidity/rainfall can amplify this even more. If you want to see how much moisture in in the mix then take a coffee can amount of it and dump it into a plastic baggie. Seal it up tight and throw it out at daylight and leave in the full sun till later in the evening. Then check and see how much moisture is inside the baggie and what the feed looks like. Leave 3 or 4 days then check it to see and then open it and smell it. That is what is happening in your feeder once it clogs up. It happens to a smaller degree due to the top layer of feed moving down and out the funnel....till it clogs up. Venting the feeder will help only helps so much if the feed is moving daily.
Both those are basically baits or attractants with minimal nutritional values from the % of protein only.
Posted By: ELKMTB

Re: Too good to be true - 07/04/20 05:59 PM

not plastic feeder; i guess I could have been more clear. the protien pellets in the tube outlet where they eat gets wet from rain or dew and clogs up. i dont put protien pellets in my spin feeder. I am considering drilling a drain hole under the lip of the outlet.

But the buck ration is the same level of protien and doesnt cause any problems. It would be easier/cheaper to start a mineral lick.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Too good to be true - 07/04/20 06:55 PM

https://www.coonhood.com/
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum