Texas Hunting Forum

Homemade food plot drags?

Posted By: KWood_TSU

Homemade food plot drags? - 06/19/20 02:42 PM

If you got a picture, post it up, need some ideas.
Specs on it would be nice too!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Homemade food plot drags? - 06/19/20 05:34 PM

What your pulling it behind? Are you looking for something to smooth the field or to cover seed? No pictures but I have used an old gate that had a cattle panel on it(added weight if it needed any) or one I added a panel to it. I have also used a rectangular piece of chain link with a corner post at the top then added a 15' piece of chain as my drag hitch. Behind my disc I have a 10' wide piece of channel steel in a U shape with a 12' piece of 2 3/8" pipe for added weight and piece of 20' chain I used to hitch to the disc (or tractor). If you are only looking to smooth a field over you can take old truck tires tied together in a triangle shape...3 or 6 then attached to the tractor with a piece of chain. I tied them together with chain or you can bolt them together with large washers and bolts.
Posted By: cos

Re: Homemade food plot drags? - 06/19/20 05:50 PM

My plots are in pretty deep sand so I built a lighter drag out of 16 inch light truck tires. Recently planted 12 acres and pulled them behind a 10ft disk and barely let disk touch ground. Helps seal off ground and hold moisture.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Homemade food plot drags? - 06/19/20 05:53 PM

Cover seed and a kubota 9540.
It's got a bucket so I can pick the drag up and carry to next plot.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Homemade food plot drags? - 06/19/20 08:30 PM

We had one like this except it was 8 foot wide and we pulled it behind a pickup. Took 3 trips, one to bust up the dirt, another to spread seed, and the last to cover the seed.

One like this out of oil field pipe and RR spikes would be a killer.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Homemade food plot drags? - 06/19/20 08:36 PM

Mine came with the place.

[Linked Image]

Just the adjustment handle was sticking out of the dirt and the weeds. 'Have yet to take it for a test spin though.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Homemade food plot drags? - 06/23/20 07:15 PM

We call it "The Drag Queen".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Homemade food plot drags? - 06/23/20 08:06 PM

Bayou Guy that is one fine looking rig
Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: Homemade food plot drags? - 07/12/20 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
We had one like this except it was 8 foot wide and we pulled it behind a pickup. Took 3 trips, one to bust up the dirt, another to spread seed, and the last to cover the seed.

One like this out of oil field pipe and RR spikes would be a killer.
[Linked Image]

You could always add spikes to that wheel how you posted earlier
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Homemade food plot drags? - 07/12/20 08:43 PM

What did you recently plant?
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Homemade food plot drags? - 07/12/20 09:49 PM

I need to come up with something better too. I tried to cover my Cow Peas dragging a pallets chained together tied to the back of my box blade. Didn't work very good, pallets came falling about and chains come loose. Tried to just use my box blade but didn't them covered all that good. Dang hogs came in and ate most of my peas the next day. I came back the next week and planed some other seed mix I had, Turkeys came in and ate most of those seeds.

I have gate off a cattle truck in the brush in the back of one of my lots in Rayburn Country. I think I am going to drag that out with my tractor and try to make a drag that connects to my 3 point so I can set the height and use the draft function on my tractor which I need to learn to use better and cover my seeds that way
Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: Homemade food plot drags? - 07/13/20 05:41 AM

Try about 6 foot section of chain link fencing with a couple post across the top makes a fine drag to cover seeds I pull it with the ATV
Posted By: TexasPI

Re: Homemade food plot drags? - 07/16/20 11:10 PM

Over the past 40 years of planting food plots, I have built / tried numerous types of drags. Pallets, tires, cedar trees, chain link, etc. My best for many years was an old set of bed springs (the old heavy duty kind) - picked up at the landfill for free. About 10 years ago I finally spent the money and bought a drag harrow from Northern Tool. I sure wish that I had done that a lot sooner! Put the spikes on the bottom angled forward and it will work the ground good and remove any debris...spikes on the bottom angled to the rear and it will do a good job working in the seed....flip the drag over (spikes up) and it will work in smaller seed or level the soil (before or after planting). I just throw it in the front end loader and move to the next plot. Lots of different sizes, but the one (now two) that I have are similar to this:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641649_200641649
Good luck!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum