Texas Hunting Forum

Food Plot Second Stage Video

Posted By: BClineCoke

Food Plot Second Stage Video - 05/19/20 11:53 PM

Hey guys, I am documenting my first plot, I just posetd my second video about doing soil samples. Please let me know what you think any feedback is greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhCWt-qEm8o
Posted By: Russ79

Re: Food Plot Second Stage Video - 05/20/20 07:41 PM

Here is how I take soil samples- get a five gallon plastic bucket (smaller if you have one but most everyone has a plastic five gallon bucket laying around) and a post hole digger. Use the post hole digger to get the soil samples- take a bite out of the ground that has the vegetation matter, grass and roots, and set aside. Get another bite and add that small amount to the bucket. Repeat at as many sites as you feel comfortable getting a good cross section of soil and mix in the bucket. Fill your soil sample bag, fill out the info sheet, and send off. Of course once you get the sample at each spot kick the dirt back in the hole. Your local county extension service can help provide direction on where to send. If you have a university nearby they may can do it for you- I live in Nacogdoches county so I use SFA to test my soil samples.
Posted By: Russ79

Re: Food Plot Second Stage Video - 05/20/20 07:42 PM

Some of us don't have a little girl helper to get our samples for us...... smile
Posted By: freerange

Re: Food Plot Second Stage Video - 05/20/20 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Russ79
Some of us don't have a little girl helper to get our samples for us...... smile

well, they should. smile
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Food Plot Second Stage Video - 05/25/20 06:37 PM

This is what I use to take soil samples. These bulb planters are available in almost every garden department.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Food Plot Second Stage Video - 05/25/20 08:12 PM

Need to get a "real" soil sampler, bulb planter is for girls and bulbs.:
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum