Texas Hunting Forum

Problems Feeding Cottonseed in SE TX?

Posted By: BigTxBassMan

Problems Feeding Cottonseed in SE TX? - 03/29/20 02:02 AM

I've been told that you can't feed cottonseed in SE TX because it will mold because of the humidity. Has anybody else heard this? What is y'all's experience with feeding it?
Posted By: don k

Re: Problems Feeding Cottonseed in SE TX? - 03/30/20 08:38 PM

Probably start sprouting if it gets wet too long.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Problems Feeding Cottonseed in SE TX? - 03/30/20 10:29 PM

We've fed it to livestock in Mills County, it gets delivered 15 tons at a time and sits in a pile on the ground the whole winter. Yes, it gets a few moldy or hot spots but stays pretty palatable even after a few months.

My suggestion would be to loosely feed it in hog wire racks so it can breathe a bit, or to find a way to cover what you are putting out. Sadly, it's been discovered as a good food source. We used to be able to get it for $100-125/ton, now it's nearly as high as processed cubes.

This is the wire I'm referring to:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Frio Town

Re: Problems Feeding Cottonseed in SE TX? - 03/31/20 02:31 AM

Fed it to cattle for more years than I can remember. Then noticed deer and goats eating on it so I did some research years ago. Then started making V-mesh feeders out of 5' material for the deer. The wire you are referring to Quit Shootin is the V-mesh. If I have to move cattle into a pasture that as a feeder in it, we just pull it up. Cattle will finish it off. Never have had any get moldy. Probably cause it hardly ever rains!!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Problems Feeding Cottonseed in SE TX? - 03/31/20 05:01 AM

we made round containers using the above fence material about 2 to 3 foot in diameter and used T posts to hold it, thne shoveled the cottonseed into it. They looked like 55 gallon drums made out of wire. Always wanted to build a feeder with a 55 gallon drum 3 foot off the ground, with a wire cage below it to hold the cottonseed, just never got around to it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum