Texas Hunting Forum

Do You Use Exclusion Cages?

Posted By: BayouGuy

Do You Use Exclusion Cages? - 01/13/20 03:12 AM

Pictures of my 1/2 acre plot in S.E. Louisiana, taken January 12, 2020. The plot was planted in early October with a mix of wheat, oats, turnips, radish, chicory and white clover using the Throw & Mow method.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PMK

Re: Do You Use Exclusion Cages? - 01/13/20 02:37 PM

that's a great idea ... hard to tell otherwise. I might need to make up some of these for the various food plots I have planted
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Do You Use Exclusion Cages? - 01/13/20 02:44 PM

I plan on using one this Spring when planting summer food plots. It was hard to tell last year whether or not the deer hammered the Lablab I planted or if it just didn't grow well.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Do You Use Exclusion Cages? - 01/13/20 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by JDP Ranch
I plan on using one this Spring when planting summer food plots. It was hard to tell last year whether or not the deer hammered the Lablab I planted or if it just didn't grow well.

that's been my thinking for fall plots over the past several years but hadn't thought of doing this
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Do You Use Exclusion Cages? - 01/18/20 01:18 AM

No but you can bet I will next year. I had good rain and fertilized heavily first of Nov this year and it seemed to be doing good until end of Nov early Dec and no more rain had it looking like it had burnt up confused2
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Do You Use Exclusion Cages? - 02/06/20 05:09 PM

Pretty much if you look at a plot and it looks like it has been kept low by mowing, it’s been kept low by deer.

Pretty cool to see the plots start to grow once everything else starts greening up in the spring. Means you had a good plot
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum