Texas Hunting Forum

North Lamar County food plot

Posted By: mdryg1970

North Lamar County food plot - 12/19/19 08:30 PM

Starting to think about what i can plant in about 1/4 acre food plot north of Paris. Anyone in that area have any suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help, gonna be my first.
Posted By: FishmanDan

Re: North Lamar County food plot - 12/19/19 10:36 PM

I'm just 20 miles west of you. Posted this a couple weeks ago. I just get the mixed seed bags at Tractor Supply and it works great every year:

I have a place in Fannin County and agree with everything said above. One thing though -- disk in a 15-15-15 fertilizer before you spread the seed. I've had good results with wheat, oats, clover and peas. But the fertilizer makes all of the difference!
Posted By: mdryg1970

Re: North Lamar County food plot - 12/20/19 06:42 PM

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: North Lamar County food plot - 12/20/19 07:42 PM

I personally think its hard to beat wheat or oats. Maybe mix the 2, and throw in some winter peas. I have planted the deer blends many times, and cannot see where the deer are more attracted to it, than the grain.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: North Lamar County food plot - 12/23/19 08:45 PM

I am in Lamar. We started planting last season. So far what has done well with no till and little effort has been Austrian Winter Peas, Oats and Crimson Clover. This is a no till plot. I have bought my last bag of corn. Personally I prefer to go to a seed store so I know what I am getting.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: North Lamar County food plot - 12/28/19 04:23 AM

Nice, Greg. Proof is in the the pudding. Nice looking plots and deer.
© 2022 Texas Hunting Forum