Texas Hunting Forum

Little sunlight food plot

Posted By: shea.mcphail

Little sunlight food plot - 11/12/19 03:58 AM

What would y’all recommend for planting in a low-lighting area? I know it is a bit late for a food plot, but curious what y’all have found successful.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Little sunlight food plot - 11/17/19 04:56 AM

I’m no expert by any means. I have a couple of spots with limited sunlight, East Texas pine trees. I have sereral small plots this year.

After the pigs rooted up my peas in a couple of spots I threw out a few more seeds, some had rye grass. The rye seems to do better than anything in the low light areas. Not sure for a fact but turkeys look like they like it too. Went to check one of my feeders/trail cam and spoked a flock of turkeys which were in a patch of rye grass.

I can’t tell if the deer are attracted to the rye grass. They hit the peas as soon as they come out of the ground, easy to see where the nibble it down. Harder to tell with the rye.

Thanks Billy
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Little sunlight food plot - 11/21/19 06:59 PM

Most of our spots get filtered light for most of the day. Crimson Clover, Oats and Austrian winter peas. The clover was a new addition this year and seems to work great and getting lots of attention.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Little sunlight food plot - 11/22/19 02:33 AM

The cover I planted started coming up good and the just went a way. Not sure if the freeze got it a few weeks back or what. I know I could stand more sunlight
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Little sunlight food plot - 11/22/19 04:48 AM

Always had good luck with oats and winter peas (Pineywoods....shaded plots).

But keeping the hogs out of them seems to be the challenge.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Little sunlight food plot - 12/09/19 05:55 PM

Rye grass grows well under those conditions.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum