Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite Deer Attractant

Posted By: RWHunting

Favorite Deer Attractant - 10/21/19 06:08 PM

Im working on a powder attractant that i plan to sell next year. Im still testing it right now and making changes. My question is, what kind of attractant do yall prefer?
Mineral based? Fruity? Corn flavored? Soybean?
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 10/21/19 06:10 PM

Corn flavored corn seems to work well for me.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 10/21/19 07:47 PM

I've had good success with Sugar Beet Crush. The only problem is that feral hogs like it too.

Now if you're interested in something I've yet to see that deer have always seemed to favor greatly it would be honeysuckle. Nothing more natural to southern deer woods than the smell of sweet honeysuckle.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 10/21/19 07:52 PM

they sure like the roses out of our flower beds ... rose, acorn, honeysuckle, corn flavors/scent
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 10/21/19 08:03 PM

Corn. Unless it's the rut. Then a fresh tarsal gland off a hot doe.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 10/22/19 02:20 AM

Don’t try anything I buy.

Sugar beet crush. Nope

Deer cane. Nope.

Persimmon. Nope.

Salt worked one year.

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 10/23/19 02:54 PM

2 weeks ago when I was last out at my east TX lease, I put out a trophy rock down one shooting lane where there isn't a feeder just to see what activity that drew in ... will report after this weekend.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 10/28/19 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by PMK
2 weeks ago when I was last out at my east TX lease, I put out a trophy rock down one shooting lane where there isn't a feeder just to see what activity that drew in ... will report after this weekend.

I can save you some time. It’s gone, hogs tore it up.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 11/10/19 11:59 AM

rice bran
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 11/11/19 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Originally Posted by PMK

X2
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 11/12/19 06:14 PM

I prefer fruity cheerleader
Posted By: spg

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 03/22/20 05:19 PM

A continuous supply of corn works best for me.
Posted By: B_Man

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 03/23/20 11:32 AM

On the Trophy Rock - we drove in a T-post then took a couple of hose clamps and a small piece of re-bar
and secured the re-bar to the side of the t-post. Then drilled into the trophy rock and slid it over the re-bar to keep
it off the ground and too high for the hogs. Perfect for the deer height. Just a thought.
Posted By: mickeyhft

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 03/23/20 11:43 AM

Vanilla. When I was a young guide the old hands showed me a great trick. You mix liquid vanilla with either water or even better vodka (the thinking there being that it dilutes it but evaporates and is tasteless, thus not tainting the effects of the vanilla. You then spray this on your corn before you spread it out. We would put it out on a sendero or in a clearing and there would be deer on it really good in just a half day or so. We often see a good buck just driving around, corn a shooting lane in that area, put up a tripod or pop up, then take him a day or two later.

We had a well known attractant personality hunt with us often so he would get marketing picks, we'd always joke though, his product works really well mixed with a pile of corn.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 03/24/20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by PMK

Yep, I agree with that statement.....hogs. But to answer his question. I've sprinkled C"Mere Deer in my corn for last 4 years.
I don't know if it helps at all. I use very little so a bag will last me the whole season. I can tell this. It throws a lot of dust into
the air each time the feeder spins. Does that help with attraction...I don't know.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 03/24/20 01:49 PM

Only attractants I will use, corn, protein, water, or like noted above tarsals cut from a buck/doe
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 03/24/20 02:20 PM

I have had success in past with Buck Grub mixed with the corn in spincast feeder. Seemed to attract more bucks to feeders but can get messy in feeder as retains some moisture.

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 03/24/20 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by PMK

X2

just now saw this again ... for what it's worth, I saw deer in that lane every time I sat during the extended MLD3 season and not a hog one. By the end of January, there was a small 2 foot diameter hole where I placed the trophy rock about 6" deep (very sandy soil) with a licked smooth piece about the size of a baseball ... by the end of Feb. the chunk was gone. The only hogs I saw at this stand location was at a winch up un-penned feeder.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 03/24/20 06:08 PM

Indian corn for the win!
Posted By: David7912

Re: Favorite Deer Attractant - 04/27/20 03:11 AM

Warm weather ,Red mineral blocks (bought at local feed store) corn rest of the time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum