Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder Pen In The Woods

Posted By: TxHunter87

Feeder Pen In The Woods - 09/11/19 07:37 PM

I hunt in East Texas on a pipeline,

I got 2 feeders set up and for some reason last few years my spot is been less and less deer and more and more hogs.

This year i have moved 1 feeder into the woods off the pipeline to see if the deer would be more comfortable in the woods rather than the middle of the pipeline and the 2nd is a hundred yards away in the middle of the pipeline.

Well so far it didn't work, got one of those cameras that sends pics to you cell phone and its crazy pigs all day long night and day 0 deer.

The 2nd one in the middle of the pipeline throws corns so far that i dont think it would be good in a feeder pen just would have to be huge to catch all the corn.

The 1st that is in the woods would be the better choice feeder wise but it is in the woods, the area isnt to thick, and i cant cut down the pine trees so there would have to be trees in the pen.

Any thoughts on the feeder pen in the woods, anyone try this or any ideas yall think of?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Feeder Pen In The Woods - 09/11/19 08:58 PM

You have to have a feeder pen. If you put a varmint guard on your feeder it should reduce the throw perimeter. Deer dont really like coming out in the open until low light conditions. Put up a pen, deer should respond well.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Feeder Pen In The Woods - 09/11/19 09:13 PM

yep, if you want deer, put up a pen. I have several pens out in Ozona that have trees in them, and the deer seem to feel safe as they have some cover. Also use the trees to tie the hog panels too, fewer post to drive up. As stated above, a coon cage will help reduce the distance some of the corn and once the deer realize that the hogs can't get into the pen, they will ... I have noticed that the deer on our Fairfield place don't like jumping field/cross fences, they crawl thru or under, took them some time to figure out they had to jump into the feeder pen but they do it now without hesitation and don't worry about the hogs.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Feeder Pen In The Woods - 09/12/19 05:42 AM

Can you put one right on the tree line and open area and hog panel it? Deer like cover close by and open area too. We have two feeders about 300 yards apart but separated by a deep creek which is close for us. The feeder inside the 2 strand only gets a few deer a day and feeds year round but the 7 hog panel one has 5x the amount of deer each day running 6 months a year and no hogs. But some areas even close to each other produce way more deer as they like the area better.
Posted By: TxHunter87

Re: Feeder Pen In The Woods - 09/12/19 06:04 PM

I might be able to make the pen large enough for the feeder that is in the woods to where it will be on the pipeline or boarder it at least but i cant go to far onto the pipeline of course. the feeder in the woods isnt to deep in maybe 20 yards.

Are yall saying to pen in both feeders of if i do one that is in the woods will that be ok? if i dont what can i expect?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Feeder Pen In The Woods - 09/13/19 12:56 AM

Deer will start to get uncomfortable in open areas after they get about 70 yards away from the thicker cover. I would move it to the edge of the ROW since it will be a very long opening they might not feel comfortable in due to past hunting pressure. Just make the pen as large as you can get it. 10 panels or more in size.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum