Texas Hunting Forum

What implements do you use for your Plots

Posted By: Gringocazador

What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/07/19 03:22 PM

I don't have a lot of implements, just a 6 foot standard duty Shredder,box blade, 6 ft straight blade and grapple. I want to get a disc and may buy one in the next couple of weeks. The problem I will have is not going to being able to get Tractor, shredder and disc on my trailer at one time. Will have to shred on day then come back the next and disc. Its not that far, but still a pain to get a 50 hp tractor and 20 foot trailer down ruff logging roads. 50 HP Mahindra is a heavy tractor for its size.

My lease is timber company land, lots of pine trees but a few places for plots. I've been shredding and then drop the shanks on my box blade and kinda use like a Chisel plow which works but not the best.

Being new to food plots I'm trying to figure things out as I go using what I have. I mainly hunted South Texas and Mexico, it seemed to never rain so I never planted. My ex father FIL farmed thousands of acres of cotton and feed in South Texas, he taught me a lot, but he also had air conditioned tractors and every implement known to man. I'm trying to use what I can get on my trailer and get it to the lease.

I also need to get covering my seeds up figured out. I've tried to use two 3/8 logging chains nailed to a 2x4, that didn't work very well, was not heavy enough.

I have a couple pallets I though about putting together and weighting down but pretty sure stumps will tear them up.

Last time I planted, I ended up using my bucket, dragging it backwards. Slow but kinda works. I think I will get me a piece of chain link fence with 4x4s on each end. I can roll that up and get on my trailer with my Tractor.

Also thought about getting a Chisel plow instead of a disc, could get that on my trailer with my shredder at the same time but its not going to do what a disc will.

Just wondering what others are doing.

thanks, BIlly

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/07/19 03:24 PM

I posted this in the wrong section, thought I was in the food plot section. Maybe the mod will move it for me
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/07/19 09:55 PM

Gring I use this harrow and it does ok for me got it for 150.00 on sale They have larger but this works fine for my (4) 1/2 acre food plots

https://www.northerntool.com/images/product/200x200/420/42017_200x200.jpg
Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/07/19 10:11 PM

I use a 6' tiller, lots of times a plow wont break the groud

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/09/19 11:23 AM

My buddy that his hobby is Oliver tractors has a tiller, they sure seem to work good. I have to many stumps cut even with the ground for a tiller. Most I can't see till I hit them with my box blade. I'd have to get rid of the stumps. I've considered getting a middle buster with a subsoiler shank and get get on each side of these pine stumps and pull the side roots out. Can't pull them from the middle/head on.

Tiller would be nice. My buddy I mentioned above says the ones tractor supply sells work really good for the price. I think he told me they run about 2700 dollars. Maybe Santa will bring me one!!!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/09/19 01:15 PM

I use a brush hog to cut the grass, then a week later a homemade sprayer, then two weeks later a disc plow. Then I wait for a forecast of rain and use a broadcast spreader with a 4x6 dragging behind it. So, I use four different pieces of equipment to plant my food plots and a 4x6x8. . I just used the disc plow this weekend. Looks like at lease a couple of weeks before I plant anything. To hot and no rain in the forecast.
Posted By: Western

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/09/19 06:49 PM

Would be tight depending on the trailer layout, but you may be able to carry a disc under the bucket sitting on the trailer, hog on the 3 point.

Disc and TSC 300# spreader will get you there most of the time, I have used all kinds of "drags", but my favorite is used tires wired in a pyramid, 4-3-2- used as the drag. You can leave used tires almost anywhere out of the way and they will be there next time you need them, implements can "walk away"
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/09/19 09:50 PM

I use a 6' shredder, 7' drag type disc harrow and/or 7 shank spring load chisel. I have an old 14 drop JD Model B grain drill that is what I plant with. I also have a couple of drags and pipe packer wheel I can drag over it to smooth it before planting.
You can find the spring loaded chisel plows cheap on Craiglist and being 3pt they are very good for small irregular shaped plots. I use chisel points to break up the soil and then change those out to 14" cultivator sweeps to smooth/weed the plot after a rain. I have a heavy drag that I attach to the chisel plow to drag when running the larger sweeps.

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/10/19 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Western
Would be tight depending on the trailer layout, but you may be able to carry a disc under the bucket sitting on the trailer, hog on the 3 point.

Disc and TSC 300# spreader will get you there most of the time, I have used all kinds of "drags", but my favorite is used tires wired in a pyramid, 4-3-2- used as the drag. You can leave used tires almost anywhere out of the way and they will be there next time you need them, implements can "walk away"

After looking at the dimensions of disc at tractor supply, it may fit up front. Not as long as I thought.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/10/19 02:10 PM

We have a 25 foot trailer, 20 foot flat deck with 5 food dovetail. We have moved the disk, tractor, shredder, and post hole digger on the trailer all at once but if I remember right its pretty full its at capacity on the 14k GVW trailer and the shredder hangs over the dovetail.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/10/19 02:21 PM

[Linked Image]

59hp, disc, planter and shredder

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/10/19 08:05 PM

If I had it to do over again I would not have bought a bumper pull trailer. I got a good deal on a package tractor and trailer so can't complain so will have to use what I have.
Posted By: PMK

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/11/19 02:52 PM

my GN trailer is a 20' lowboy 14k and if I had to do over again, I would get a 24-25' with dovetail deck over as my tractor with shredder or plow takes up the full length of the 20' deck unless I put the loader up on the neck ...
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/11/19 08:53 PM

We used to disc, not anymore. We shred, then broadcast feed oats and wheat, then chisel plow. Works great with much less work.

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/11/19 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Erathkid
We used to disc, not anymore. We shred, then broadcast feed oats and wheat, then chisel plow. Works great with much less work.

How many HP is your tractor you pull your chisel plow with.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/12/19 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
[Linked Image]

59hp, disc, planter and shredder

Do you drive that on the highway long distances?? Very nice.

Re: What implements do you use for your Plots - 09/12/19 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gringocazador
Originally Posted by Erathkid

How many HP is your tractor you pull your chisel plow with.

I thought about the same thing with a Chisel plow but worried I didnt have enought tractor. Also worried about the dang stumps I can't see.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum