Texas Hunting Forum

Got anything in the ground yet?

Posted By: Texas Dan

Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/04/19 04:32 PM

Picked up my winter rye and fertilizer this weekend so I'll be ready to over seed the edge of a pasture that borders a large bedding area. This will be my first experience with just over seeding an area rather than disk and plant. I'm looking at early October as my target plant date using an approach someone suggested here - broadcast and mow so the clippings help cover the seeds.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/04/19 04:38 PM

I mowed this weekend three plots I will use, had mowed a fourth a couple weeks ago.

Will most likely rent a tiller and get the soil turned close to end of sept, and maybe plant right away depending on rain chances. I will run a fall blend from Justin seed. Was looking at turner seed and their fall blend, and it is the same exact as the Justin seed blend. Same exact. Wonder who had the idea first, or if they cooperate with each other.

Either way, plan on planting late sept or early October depending on rain chances.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/04/19 04:41 PM

Plowed this past weekend, but the ground was too hard in most places. Gonna have to hope for some rain to soften things up to plow. Then gotta hope for some rain so that we can plant.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/04/19 06:04 PM

Plots are all plowed but way to hot and way to early here. Won't think about it till end of Sept. at the earliest and more than likely end of the first week of Oct...if it rains enough in Sept. Land is all plowed just need a rain to melt the clods then I can run a disc over any regrowth weeds/grass. As dry as it has been, I guessing on another huge army worm outbreak again this year.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/04/19 06:10 PM

I hooked up my disc last Saturday but the ground is so hard it's like disking concrete. Made one round and gave up. If we don't get considerable rain in the next couple of weeks I don't know when I'll be able to plant.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/04/19 06:48 PM

I've shredded most of my plots but won't even think about doing much else until I know I'm safe from the army worms. I learned the hard way a few years ago.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/04/19 07:08 PM

Sprayed two weeks ago and going to disc this weekend. Then wait for cooler weather and rain. As westtexaswatkins said, army worms can ruin a great plot in a couple of days.
Posted By: phathawg

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/05/19 10:42 AM

My planting date is 9/20 when Leon Carr shows up with seed. Meanwhile I've shredded, disced and tilled the plots. This weekend hope to put out lime and 13-13-13. Bought a cultipacker to mash it all together. Then it's just praying for rain.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/05/19 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by phathawg
My planting date is 9/20 when Leon Carr shows up with seed. Meanwhile I've shredded, disced and tilled the plots. This weekend hope to put out lime and 13-13-13. Bought a cultipacker to mash it all together. Then it's just praying for rain.

Just for purposes of general discussion, someone once told me that Triple 13 has lime added to it. It's also been my understanding the best time to lime is months before you plant so it has time to work into the soil.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/06/19 03:17 AM

I put in one small plot, Red Ripper Cow Peas back in late may. They came up pretty good. Haven't checked on this lately. My guess heat got them, but we've had a shower or two in East Texas off and on this summer so hoping they are still hanging in.

Last weekend, (labor day weekend) I Shredded two shooting lanes cleaned and up best I could with my box blade with shanks dropped kinda like a Chisel plow. Both lanes about 100 yards long by 10-15 yrs wide that had never been planted before. Was rough on my box blade, lost one shank, bent 4 more. Dang stumps even with the ground and can't see them played heck with my box blade. Next year I will a disc. Our lease is all timber company land so kinda limited on where we can plant.

I planted mainly cow peas I bought from seed store online, but also threw a bag of mean beans I bought at Academy in with it, had a few Soy Beans in it Want to see if Soy beans will come up.

Sounds like I'm not the only one that needs rain bad and looking at the long range forecast its going to be a while, like hardly no rain in Sept. I plan to watch the weather and run back out to the lease and put some fertilizer out before it rains.

One of my bow stands may have enough room for a little 1/4 acre plot, may look at planting that in a couple of weeks. I need to order an other sack of peas.

I've got a bag of some kind of clover I haven't put out. I've never planted clover. I would think it would need to planted early spring. Will hang on it it until I learn what to do with clover. I threw some clover out with the cow peas I planted in May but I planted them to deep from what a buddy of mine told me, they didn't come up.

I have more fun planting and playing with trail cell cameras than deer hunting.

Will order a 6 ft disc from Tractor Supply one of these days. I found one would work for my little food plots.

When I retire in the next few years, I will have more time. This thing called a job seems to get in the way.

thanks, Billy

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/06/19 11:18 AM

Dan,
I think you're right about 13-13-13. I put out 200-300# over 1-2 acres twice a year (spring and fall). It keeps the ph around 7. Last spring's lime should be well incorporated by now. The lime I put out now will be ready for the spring plots and so on. Works for me.
Posted By: don k

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/06/19 12:09 PM

Too dry to even plow. The disc just bounces on top of the ground even with 300 extra pounds of weight on it.
Posted By: TMonjure

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/07/19 10:15 PM

You guys are guessing on your ph, most important thing is to get a soil sample to know exactly how much lime and fertilizer you need. Then go to a local fertilizer/chemical company and they will take your soil sample and give you exactly what you need and will save you money instead of buying lime and fertilizer in bags. This is of course you have the means to spread it. Some of the chemical companies have carts you can pull back to your property that have built in spreaders, just need something to pull it. The closer your Ph is to neutral the less fertilizer you will need.
Posted By: pnh

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/07/19 10:38 PM

Being in the ranching business all my life, I've never heard that there was lime in any fertilizer. Even if it was, the benefits would be negligible. Lime is distributed at tons per acre, not pounds.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/08/19 03:17 AM

Tmon,
I test my soils. Not guessing.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/09/19 09:29 PM

I broke ground at my place 2 weeks ago. I have about 20 acres ready to plant. I too am waiting till the end of the month to plant.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/09/19 09:45 PM

Not enough rain yet to even get excited about planting yet. Had .66" last Thursday but it was gone by Saturday. Going to run a disc over and drag the plots next week if it rains this week. IF..........

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/18/19 03:17 PM

Going to plant today after work. Supposed to get some rain late Thursday and Friday. Got my fingers crossed.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/18/19 03:33 PM

depending on what rains we might get, planning on planting Friday in SE Burnet county and Saturday in NE Freestone county.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/18/19 04:19 PM

Nope, grounds too hard, waiting on a rain.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/19/19 03:59 PM

Planting seed and cultipacking tomorrow (if not too wet)! Can't wait until November!

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/19/19 06:56 PM

Drove to the property and planted oats and winter peas yesterday in 3 food plots, but stupid stupid me......I ran out with 1/2 acre to go. So going back down there today after work with 50lbs of oats to finish. We got 100% chance of rain in the morning or otherwise I would wait for the weekend.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/19/19 08:55 PM

Nothing but dust, wind and 100 degree temps here the last couple of days. If it does not rain by end of next week, I am going to drag my fields and dust the oats and winter peas in by Oct 7th.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/20/19 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Drove to the property and planted oats and winter peas yesterday in 3 food plots, but stupid stupid me......I ran out with 1/2 acre to go. So going back down there today after work with 50lbs of oats to finish. We got 100% chance of rain in the morning or otherwise I would wait for the weekend.

When I got there it was a barely raining. I planted every thing and by the time I left it was a steady rain. Got 1.81 inches from 4pm to 4am according to Farmlog.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/23/19 11:25 PM

put our plots in Sunday. We got almost 3 inches of rain and more today.

Will go back over the next few weeks to see how everything is coming along.

-z

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/24/19 12:09 AM

Got everything planted and cultipacked Friday. Got some rain Saturday. New batteries and sd cards in the cameras. Filled protien feeders. Will top off corn feeders in two weeks.
Posted By: Western

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/25/19 04:26 PM

We had projected rains for a 5 day period over last week into this week in the 60-20% range, got .09. I planted on the front of the prediction just to see some folks on the Red river get pounded with rain..
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/25/19 08:05 PM

Not yet, still temp is still 80 degrees. Need it to drop a few before broadcasting, but disced up aced ready to go.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/28/19 11:25 AM

Planted two plots 9/26/19. One plot with winter peas and the other with rye. Just waiting on some rain now.
Posted By: cos

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/28/19 08:12 PM

No lime in fertilizer.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/30/19 02:17 PM

Planted 10 days ago just before 1/2 rain in East Texas. Got oats and winter peas in the ground and they are coming up today. Now I need a little more rain but none forecasted for next two weeks.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/30/19 03:13 PM

Still to hot and no follow up rains since I had .70" last week on Monday. Chances everyday and showers around me but none here. If it does rain at least .50" and hopefully more the next 3-4 days I will probably plant within a week of the last rain. If not I will still plant around Oct 10th or right before the next chance of rain.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/30/19 03:37 PM

Got 4 smaller plots done with Justin/turner fall deer mix with clover this past weekend. Watched as the weather brought the chances of rain sat/sun from 40% both days to nothing. Showing a chance of rain for Thursday, and again next week. I hope it rains soon. Don’t want it sitting for too long in the dirt.

I did seed very heavy expecting some loss due to birds, animals, and dryness. We’ll see how’s it comes up.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/30/19 07:44 PM

Here's a neat website for y'all. Has soil temps and a lot of other stuff.

http://dtn.agfax.com/index.cfm?show=1&mapID=20
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/30/19 09:16 PM

I planted all my plots in wheat this last weekend. I haven't seen any signs of army worms yet and several of the neighbors already have big green wheat fields. Crossing my fingers. My rain gauge had 4 " when I got there so there should be plenty of moisture in the ground.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 09/30/19 09:24 PM

I have a cell cam on one of my plots. Pretty much hogs 24/7 rooting up all my cowpeas. I planted one day, they started rooting up the next. I went back and threw out a bunch of clover, rape etc., small seeds thinking the hogs would stomp in the ground. Clover and rape are to small for hogs to pick up, best I can tell.

Well clover and rape are not too small for Turkey's.........................big flock came and set up camp on the small seeds.

Pretty much write that plot off. I have a couple more plots maybe they will survive, provided it rains in East Texas someday.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/01/19 08:04 PM

I am not considering it any time soon. I'm in southern DeWitt County, and the rain has been thin. I keep very detailed rainfall records, 15 years worth, and we are way behind. Eastern Goliad has had some rain, but it runs out before hitting DeWitt County.

[Linked Image]

The bad thing is that we missed our typical rain spike in September. That rain will not be replaced through the winter. With armyworms yet ahead, I'm shooting toward the end of October. I don't hunt my food plots; they are for December through February. If ANYTHING comes up, it will be annihilated. I'm going to try to work in time with acorns and pecans hitting the ground, I have a bumper crop. I plan to plant about 7 to 10 days ahead of a front so that the mast will be knocked on the ground for consumption. Anything green sticking its head out of dirt will be snipped off otherwise.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/01/19 08:06 PM

Oh, this is the driest year I've had in 15 years.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/02/19 10:17 AM

Let us know how it works out.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/02/19 09:55 PM

we planted in dust and haven't gotten any measurable rains yet ... will just have to wait and see from here on out ...
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/03/19 01:24 PM

Just planted 10 acres with a Turner Seed Top Notch Wildlife Mix yesterday. Hoping that the arrival of the cold front today produces the light rain that is predicted.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/03/19 11:46 PM

Planted winter peas on a plot and winter rye on another after liming in Freestone Co. last week. Looks like we will get some rain this evening. Good luck everyone!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/07/19 01:04 AM

Looks like we may be planting in next couple of weeks. Too dry to disc right now. Whatever, this is Texas.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/07/19 01:38 AM

I am going to risk it and either plant Tues or Thursday morning this week. I have a 40% chance of rain for Friday and 20% Thur. and Friday nights. After that it is not looking good. I can always replant later on if needed.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/07/19 02:12 AM

Rain completely missed my ranch and my house. Next good chance is end of week. Then several chances after the following week. I know some folks got some rain today, but I wasn’t one of them. Bummed but it’s all good. Cool weather means we might have some deer showing up when we hunt for the first time next weekend.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/12/19 08:13 AM

Finally got some moisture, will be plowing and planting this weekend. Have had my seed and fertilizer for about a month now. This is the latest I have ever planted . Might be a good thing though, last year the army worms and hogs, wiped out half my crop. Have a thermal scope this year for the hogs. Just hope the army worms are on vacation.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/12/19 10:32 PM

I mowed and over seeded a small area with rye grass today and will be interested to see how it comes out. I followed an approach someone suggested here that included using the grass clippings to add a little cover for the seed. With warm days and good chances of rain most of next week, the timing should be perfect. It's located at the edge of a pasture that borders a thick bedding area, both of which are on a tract that's never been hunted. I'm thinking there may be no telling what may walk out late on a cold, late November or early December evening.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/13/19 12:59 AM

I got all my plots in this weekend after .25" moisture followed by .5". Hopefully they work out!
Posted By: pnh

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/13/19 01:07 AM

I've had mine planted for 2 weeks. Got 2.5 yesterday. Should be coming up this week.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/13/19 01:37 AM

Drilled mine in a bit deeper than usual on Tuesday morning. Got a .18" on mine and hope that is not enough to sprout the seed.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/13/19 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Drilled mine in a bit deeper than usual on Tuesday morning. Got a .18" on mine and hope that is not enough to sprout the seed.

The forecast is calling for warmer temps and good chances of rain over many areas of the state starting tomorrow.

I'm hoping we don't get as much rain this year as we did last season. There were many days last season when my ground blind had about a foot or more of water in and surrounding it.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/14/19 12:44 AM

Planted several food plots with winter peas, rye, oats, radishes, and clover last week and got a little rain on them this weekend.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/14/19 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman

I didn't get any measurable moisture with the frontal passage on Friday morning here in DeWitt County. The rainfall accumulation is still at 12" for the year. Sunday a week ago, I had lightly disced the plots to remove the grasses that tend to come up, the grass held a lot of flying armyworms.

The frontal passage wind did put a light dusting of the mast on the ground, both pecan, and oak. With the high temperatures forecast, I have more 90º days over the next seven days that not, I'm not doing anything soon.

It sure is a weird year.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/14/19 11:33 AM

I finally got a little rain, and was able to get mine in the ground this past weekend. All I need now, is a good slow soaking rain.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/14/19 09:14 PM

Yes, spent all day and night on tractor sat.

[Linked Image]

Need to change tractor lights to LED

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/14/19 10:38 PM

All my rain chances dwindle as they get closer. I see some sprouts coming up in areas that had a kind of mulch over them but the bare dirt seeds are still sitting there. I guess at least they are sitting there and aren’t gone already.

Need rain in a bad way. Don’t need to worry about army worms this year, ain’t nothing growing !

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/15/19 07:13 PM

Got another .5" last night.
My wheat literally grew an inch overnight, hope it keeps it up.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/16/19 11:24 AM

I got my grain planted this past weekend, and last evening got 1" of rain. And hard winds, blew a tree down in my yard, barely missing the house. But the rain was MUCH needed.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/16/19 11:57 AM

Here in DeWitt County, we are getting a little bit of rain, the heavy line split around my part of the County. Thought about planting yesterday, but the forecast still holds highs in the upper 80s and low 90s, coupled with cool nights; a fine combination for armyworms. A short tour of my place found the AW present, so I will wait for cooler daytime highs.

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/21/19 12:30 AM

With the approaching front, I plotted today. It seems to take me longer to wash and prep the Landpride No-Till Seeder for storage until spring than it does to plant. I've planted the product before, so I don't need to calibrate the rate adjustments and motored along at six mph. I'm still getting used to the no-till aspect of it. All the growth and stubble is pulverized and matted down on the soil, so it is not the bare dirt that I've spent a lifetime looking at in the fall. That is supposed to be a good thing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/28/19 03:24 AM

Got some rain, now plants are sprouting. Have some good oats and wheat coming up. See the starts of clover and. Turnip. Will be interesting to see how much of it makes it through the freezes that are forecast this week (wedensest thru Thursday)

A couple good sun days and the plot should be popping.

Forgot to mention good chance of rain Tuesday thru Wednesday
Got a little more than 1.6” measurable this past system but that probably doesn’t include the wet drizzle mist that was around for a full 36 hours and kept everything moist in between those rain showers.
Posted By: RWHunting

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 10/29/19 06:32 PM

I planted 2 weeks ago 10/19, and the weather has been perfect in Red River County since then, excited to see what it looks like Saturday morning!
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Got anything in the ground yet? - 11/12/19 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ranch Dog
With the approaching front, I plotted today. It seems to take me longer to wash and prep the Landpride No-Till Seeder for storage until spring than it does to plant. I've planted the product before, so I don't need to calibrate the rate adjustments and motored along at six mph. I'm still getting used to the no-till aspect of it. All the growth and stubble is pulverized and matted down on the soil, so it is not the bare dirt that I've spent a lifetime looking at in the fall. That is supposed to be a good thing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I wish I could afford one of those!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum