Texas Hunting Forum

Spring Food Plot In

Posted By: phathawg

Spring Food Plot In - 04/18/19 04:26 PM

Started discing about 3 weeks ago. Spread lime and disced. Spread fertilizer and disced. Then I tilled with my tractor. Last Friday I tilled over everything while waiting for my buddy to show up. When he got there, we spread Justin Seed Spring Mix (soy, clay peas, okra and millet). Have to wait until tomorrow to see if last night's weather washed much of it out. Don't have a cultipacker yet but packed some with the tractor tires. Anyone else done yet?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Spring Food Plot In - 04/18/19 05:24 PM

I planted Red Ripper cowpeas in 4 of the plots and mixed Red Rippers with Sunn Hemp in 2 plots 2 weeks ago on Friday. Had 2.12" rain that Sunday and had .41" rain last night again. They started coming up 6-7 days after I planted the plots. With high winds and some hot temps after they come up they were needed the rain from last night. These pics are from 3 days ago and some seeds were still trying to push up thru the hard packed crust. The rain was hard enough to wash some seeds out also but some of them settled in the silt and sprouted down the grade a bit. Deer had started to eat on them already and thinning some also. I noticed the plants with top 2 leaves bitten off were putting new leaf buds on the stem this morning. So I think I will still get some new leaves showing this week again with the rain and some warmer temps.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Spring Food Plot In - 04/18/19 05:39 PM

Looks good!
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Spring Food Plot In - 04/18/19 05:40 PM

Yeah it does

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Spring Food Plot In - 04/21/19 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by phathawg
Looks good!
Posted By: PMK

Re: Spring Food Plot In - 04/22/19 05:53 PM

up
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Spring Food Plot In - 04/22/19 06:16 PM

Looking forward to checking out my food plot. Planted on the same day as you. Was happy for the rain to come the following day, but worried about the intensity and wind. Won't get to see it until Thursday - waiting like a kid on Christmas Eve for his presents heh.
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Spring Food Plot In - 04/22/19 06:20 PM

Curious what you used to plant?

I am using a Plotmaster. Seemed to work well for secondary tillage and planting, but I'll find out this weekend if that was really the case.

Had to use the rippers from my box blade for primary tillage on that Friday before the rain since the ground was fairly dry/hard.

Re: Spring Food Plot In - 04/22/19 06:50 PM

25hp Kubota tractor, 5' tandem disc, 4' tiller and a handcrank seed broadcaster (I'm a poor guy). Most of my seeds are sprouting. The rains Saturday settled the soil so the storms Wednesday night had little effect. Some wash-out but not enough to worry about.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum