Texas Hunting Forum

Austrian Winter Pea question

Posted By: Mr. T.

Austrian Winter Pea question - 04/17/19 06:17 PM

This is a simple question that I cannot find the answer to on the internet. So, I'm going straight to the experts on THF.
I planted in mid september. They are just starting to have a few purple flowers scatted. How long until I can
actually see a pea pod? This is the first year that the deer have not eaten them to the ground, so I have never
had them grow this long before.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Austrian Winter Pea question - 04/17/19 06:39 PM

Depends on plant health, weather conditions, when the blooms get pollinated & when the flower drops, difficult to give a semi accurate answer.
After the flowers drop you should see a pod start forming in 3 - 10 days. Depending on the variables 10 - 21 more days to full maturity.

They have the highest ' N ' / green manure soil improvement value just at the flowering stage.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Austrian Winter Pea question - 04/17/19 06:46 PM

Thank you very much.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Austrian Winter Pea question - 04/17/19 07:03 PM

I wish I could plant them. Without exception, the hogs have always found them before they ever had a chance to grow.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Austrian Winter Pea question - 04/19/19 09:30 AM

Me too Dan. My small 133 acre place is butt deep on hogs. Very few people around me have still have cows so not even much wheat planted. When I have planted, the hogs get to it. Hunt and/or trap them? Good luck! They breed too quickly and are smarter than I am.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum