Texas Hunting Forum

Top soil spread

Posted By: fonzie

Top soil spread - 03/14/19 09:22 PM

Saw somewhere on tv about a seed you can spread on top ground for a small plottt. Said it worked good of you don’t have all the equipment... anyone use it and know what it is called?
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Top soil spread - 03/14/19 09:58 PM

I saw someone use Throw & Gro and they had decent success with it for a couple years. Some of the seeds took on about 70% of the area it was spread.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Top soil spread - 03/14/19 10:38 PM

Throw &gro works. The clover, radish, chicory, and rye seed they provide seem to grow well without manipulating the soil. Though I probably use 6 of their 1/4 acre bags to cover an acre.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Top soil spread - 03/15/19 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by rickym
Throw &gro works. The clover, radish, chicory, and rye seed they provide seem to grow well without manipulating the soil. Though I probably use 6 of their 1/4 acre bags to cover an acre.

Have never had any luck with that stuff, and we actually get a decent amount of rain from September through January
Posted By: rickym

Re: Top soil spread - 03/15/19 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by rickym

Have never had any luck with that stuff, and we actually get a decent amount of rain from September through January

I surely won’t argue with anybody who complains about poor results with it. My “throw and grow” plot consist of some throw and gro clover/radish and whatever else is in the bag with 50 lbs of oats broadcasted over an area I previously walked around and punched holes while dropping beans or peas.
Posted By: fonzie

Re: Top soil spread - 03/15/19 11:09 PM

When is a good time to put it out?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum