Texas Hunting Forum

On demand vs timed feeders

Posted By: Texas Dan

On demand vs timed feeders - 08/20/18 12:25 AM

I'm considering replacing a timed, broadcast type feeder with an on demand feeder that has elevated tubes that makes it more difficult for hogs to reach the feed. Because I hunt this tract with a good friend who is a 99.99% meat hunter, I'm wondering if an on demand feeder will make it harder for him to fill an ice chest. He's the kind of hunter that likes to show up 30 minutes before the feeder goes off, and never stays past 9am. That's fine with me because he loves deer meat for the food resource it provides.

If we were to switch him to an on demand feeder, would it make it more difficult for him to fill an ice chest given his lack of patience?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: On demand vs timed feeders - 08/20/18 12:28 AM

It would make it more difficult for him to pattern the deer. Raccoons may become more of a problem.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: On demand vs timed feeders - 08/24/18 02:57 PM

I swithhed to The Hammer system for timed feeding in tubes. Glad I did
Posted By: TyBU

Re: On demand vs timed feeders - 10/22/18 06:43 PM

It will not make any difference. I run gravity feeders and the deer patterns stayed the same. He will still have success.
Posted By: don k

Re: On demand vs timed feeders - 10/23/18 10:49 PM

It all depends on your pocket book.
Posted By: Coonhood

Re: On demand vs timed feeders - 11/10/18 08:16 PM

If raccoons and other varmints are your concern for free choice check out our new lines of protein feeders that come standard with built on CoonHoods. CoonHoods are the only product designed specifically for protein feeders and will save thousands in saved protein over the life of the feeder.

www.coonhood.com
Posted By: Appels

Re: On demand vs timed feeders - 11/16/18 09:32 PM

Not sure about anyone else, but I didn't have good luck with gravity feeders in areas with heavy hog movement - the pigs would come in and rub the legs on the gravity feeder and shake out all of the protein. I had to hog panel it off to run that feeder. Since then, I've moved to the ASF stand and fill protein feeder on a timer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum