Texas Hunting Forum

Purple top turnip seeds

Posted By: C&H OutDoors

Purple top turnip seeds - 08/18/18 07:24 PM

I have property just east of Abilene Texas and I was curious if anybody had a preference of purple top turnip seeds.
In 2016 I planted a small amount of purple top turnips and they turned out amazing, size of baseballs and softballs with huge green tips. In 2017 I planted a lot more seeds but a cheaper brand and they did not even buld and the green tips were very small no more than 3 inches.
I would like to plant more this year because the deer really hit them mid December.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Purple top turnip seeds - 08/18/18 07:32 PM

I haven't used turnips since moving back to Texas. In both Indiana and Missouri We'd scatter seeds on the edge of harvested fields and rake over them. After the first freeze the deer would be all over them. Made for easier pickings to fill the freezer.
In Indiana I planted some on some fresh-cut timber land. They came up but nothing ever really hit them all that hard in that part. In some reclaimed coal lands we had good luck with them.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Purple top turnip seeds - 08/18/18 07:59 PM

I planted Purple Tops in the Hill Country back in the early to mid 90's. Deer loved them, but had to get a freeze on them. Once they started eating them and it was in a drought year they did not even wait for a freeze. There are varieties of grazing turnips or Typhon/Tyfon Turnips. It produced more greens than bulb size.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Purple top turnip seeds - 08/19/18 02:41 PM

I used to plant them and the deer loved them. However, since the hogs moved in, it doesn't do much good. They get wiped out in a hurry.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Purple top turnip seeds - 08/24/18 11:43 AM

The few times I planted turnips, they did real good, but the deer wouldn't touch them. I am sure the hogs would love them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum