Texas Hunting Forum

Mullberry?

Posted By: SapperTitan

Mullberry? - 07/21/18 05:34 AM

Anyone planted any Mullberry trees in central Texas for wildlife? Ive heard deer love the leaves and fruit and hogs and turkey love the berries. Thinking of planting a few.
Posted By: don k

Re: Mullberry? - 07/21/18 11:52 AM

I have some large ones here. I don't see any small ones as the deer eat them off before they get big. They would be good but you would have to keep them protected for quite a while.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Mullberry? - 07/21/18 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
I have some large ones here. I don't see any small ones as the deer eat them off before they get big. They would be good but you would have to keep them protected for quite a while.

I had never seen one till I moved to the Hill Country. We had only very old large ones along the flowing creeks or in the drainages in the areas were water collected or stood after rains. Like Don, I never saw a small one.
Posted By: Western

Re: Mullberry? - 07/21/18 01:40 PM

I've never seen them outside of town, or around homes, but they are often in the wildlife recommended section of nurseries. I know the ones we had brought in a lot of birds and drop profusely. I have tried to buy a couple but you have to order them early as they seem to sell out fast (online) Womack nursery near stephenville has them iirc.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Mullberry? - 07/21/18 02:43 PM

Mulberry is easy to start from cuttings, using root hormone to help get them started. You can easily start dozens of plants in containers for transplant later. Do a search on YouTube for some examples.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Mullberry? - 07/21/18 06:33 PM

I was thinking about planting these behind my house. I’ll be able to water them easily and put up some tree protectors to keep deer from eating them.
Posted By: Western

Re: Mullberry? - 07/21/18 10:39 PM

ST, they ought to do well there, we had them at one house and with some care, they grow pretty fast, great berries to if you like that kind of "stuff", make good pies and jam.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Mullberry? - 07/21/18 11:52 PM

Hey Sapper, have a bunch here, if you and Jaxton come dove hunting, you can have as many as you can carry.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum