Texas Hunting Forum

mineral sites and hogs

Posted By: sdunshee

mineral sites and hogs - 03/18/18 04:05 PM

Do hogs mess with deer mineral sites/blocks? Would it be beneficial to put the minerals inside the feeder pen? Been on our place for 5 seasons and nobody has ever done a mineral site so I thought since the time is right I'll start a couple in my area. I have some good hard trails I can place then near but was just wondering about the hogs.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: mineral sites and hogs - 03/18/18 04:34 PM

I put a mineral block in my feeder pen one time and never got a picture of a deer eating it. Tossed it outside the pen and the hogs played soccer with it. I've been meaning to get another one and drop it in a hole to make it harder for them to move it around. Gonna pick one up the next time I buy corn.
Posted By: PMK

Re: mineral sites and hogs - 03/19/18 02:20 PM

I put out the yellow sulfur salt blocks at most of my feeders and some in other shooting alleys ... have both deer and hogs come to it at various times during the year and yes, the hogs will push it around a bit but usually within the same area. I gave up on the brown mineral blocks, they just don't hold up to the weather well.
Posted By: rickym

Re: mineral sites and hogs - 04/02/18 09:20 PM

Anything with molasses in it the hogs will destroy
Posted By: crzymike

Re: mineral sites and hogs - 04/10/18 02:24 AM

I've hear that mixing the mineral pellets in with corn and gradually going to just pellets works well, never tried it though.
Posted By: Treinta-Treinta

Re: mineral sites and hogs - 04/10/18 02:31 AM

Depends on the time of year, I had a bunch this weekend rooting 15 yards from me and they would not walk another 5 yards to the corn and hog wild.

I have killed them during the spring and summer easier with smashed up earth worms and mushrooms.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: mineral sites and hogs - 04/10/18 02:32 AM

I put out one of the molasses blocks that is all full of corn and other goodies. I broke it with hammer thinking it would be easier for deer to bite on it. The hogs finished it in two hours.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: mineral sites and hogs - 04/11/18 11:48 AM

I've had a "tracemineral block" the brown/maroon color ones on a stump for over 2o years. It has turned the stump almost maroon. The deer and hogs go to it all the time. I was out one full moon night and watched 8 deer go to it when it was empty. They licked on the stump for a few minutes each and left the area. It has teeth marks in the stump where they have chewed on it. I put a fresh block on the stump the next day. I had some out in the hill country leases over the years and they worked well there.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: mineral sites and hogs - 04/16/18 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Treinta-Treinta
Depends on the time of year, I had a bunch this weekend rooting 15 yards from me and they would not walk another 5 yards to the corn and hog wild.

I have killed them during the spring and summer easier with smashed up earth worms and mushrooms.

My experience has always been that deer hit salt and mineral blocks mostly during the hot summer months. I seem to remember reading or hearing someone say it's because the high salt intake helps them fight off ticks and flies.
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: mineral sites and hogs - 06/11/18 10:11 PM

checked all my mineral sites 3 weeks ago, something definitely has torn them up...no cow prints or hog prints around so that's good. Recharged them while I was out there 3 weeks ago. Will put cameras on them here in a week or two to get an idea of the traffic and recharge them again. Each sight was dug down about 6", we only turned over the first 2" of soil when we made them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum