Texas Hunting Forum

Turnips?

Posted By: Trenton

Turnips? - 11/19/17 02:45 AM

Anyone in north tx have luck with turnips?
We usually have plant straight triticale but it was destroyed by army worms in Baylor county.
We did plant some mix and the turnips are coming in big. Deer don’t seem to be interested in the turnips at all. Do they need to be mature plants?
Posted By: huntindude

Re: Turnips? - 11/20/17 01:07 PM

have to have a heavy frost or freeze first. Plus might take a year or 2 for them to even nibble. If it isn't sometime they eat on a regular basis, then give them time. Just like everything else. Time.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Turnips? - 11/20/17 01:13 PM

I've always great luck with turnips. I've never known of them getting the opportunity to mature before they are eaten.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Turnips? - 11/20/17 04:27 PM

I've planted them before. Deer walked past them until the first really good freeze. After that they dig them out of the ground when they finally figure out what they are. I'm guessing the freeze puts the sugar down in the root.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Turnips? - 11/20/17 08:24 PM

I have had great luck with purple top turnips in small food plots at my lease, but until a good freeze only the Turkeys will eat them. My problem has been Turkeys devastating the sprouts before they ever get started.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Turnips? - 11/21/17 02:39 AM

I've had poor results with purple tops. The deer hardly touch them and they end up rotting in the plot in the Spring. That's good for the soil, but not for drawing deer.

This year I added Daikon radish to my planting mix with totally different results. The deer are tearing up the greens and the radish keeps on producing new leaves.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Turnips? - 11/22/17 02:40 AM

They only browse the tops. Have had good luck with diakon mixed in too. I do fertize early on as well.
Posted By: Trenton

Re: Turnips? - 11/22/17 06:42 AM

Thanks for the info y’all. A few in our group were getting discouraged that the deer would never take notice but at least this gives us something to potentially look forward to. Not supposed to have a hard freeze for a while so we shall see. If I could load pics from my iPhone I would post the pics of some of the purple bulbs sticking up out of the “lettuce patch” as a lease mate calls it. We have a lot of turnips coming in big so maybe we will get lucky with them.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Turnips? - 11/22/17 02:45 PM

Good luck with them up in Cooke County. The deer will hit them after a good frost.Diakon radishes are awesome for food plots.
Posted By: phathawg

Re: Turnips? - 11/23/17 05:57 PM

Had a good turnip crop a few years ago. After a hard freeze, the turnips were still untouched. I had to pull a lot of them and leave them so the deer could learn what they are. It seems they've never dug turnips before. Now they do.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum