Texas Hunting Forum

December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas

Posted By: Mr. T.

December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/13/17 02:25 PM

I am buying a small property and getting procession on December 1. Mostly sandy east Texas soil. Is there anything that I can plant that will help me out the last part of the season?
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/13/17 04:09 PM

buy a winter plot mix from your local seed store (oats/turnips/radishes/wheat/rye/winter-peas) and plant/throw best you can....
https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/articles/5-food-plots-for-procrastinators hit it with fertilizer too...

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/13/17 04:24 PM

Justin seed carries this: http://justinseed.com/seeds/mixes/wildlife-and-food-plots/deer-mixes/fall-deer-mix-with-clover

most of this will come up just fine in mild texas winter weather, and the deer really gobble up the young shoots . . ..
Posted By: crumrw

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/13/17 09:23 PM

Winter wheat, should be able to get a some 50 lb. bags from the feed store and it'll come up quick. They'll start munchin' on it as soon as there is green sticking out of the ground.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/15/17 07:39 PM

I would see if the current owner would mind you putting it down now. Poston Seed in Terrell can hook you up. should start coming up in 1-2 weeks depending on rain amounts.

Good luck!

Z

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/17/17 01:19 PM

Thanks to all for your information. I'm going to give it a try and will let you know "what comes up."
Posted By: JTS

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/18/17 04:15 AM

My food plot came up early and got eaten up by army worms. I just replanted oats yesterday and will plant wheat tomorrow. Fingers crossed that we get some moisture in the near future.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/22/17 08:50 PM

Anyone know which has the lowest germination temp? Oats or wheat? I Know wheat will stand lower temperature once it is up. I plan to try and plant something next week just not sure what. Turnips don't do well at all in sulphur river bottoms.

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/22/17 10:01 PM

Oats between 34-36 degrees. could not find anything on wheat.

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/22/17 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg Z
I would see if the current owner would mind you putting it down now. Poston Seed in Terrell can hook you up. should start coming up in 1-2 weeks depending on rain amounts.

Good luck!

Z

The reason for doing this is it has a verity of things that will come up at different times over the season.

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/22/17 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg Z
Oats between 34-36 degrees. could not find anything on wheat.

wheat is about same as oats.

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/23/17 12:50 AM

Oldoak2000, thank you!

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/23/17 12:53 AM

Oldoak2000, thank you! You too Greg Z. Didn't see your original post.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/23/17 07:53 PM

Rye works well also. Problem is lack of rain.

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/24/17 01:05 PM

Cereal rye or rye grass????
Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 11/27/17 03:38 PM

cereal rye is the most winter hardy of all the small grains. its also the most drought tolerant and will almost grow on the living room floor (poor soil)!
Posted By: LTC Realty

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 12/05/17 02:03 PM

I have had 3 seed crops now come up and then die off cause of no rain. Each time its rained I have re planted, it sprouts, go long time with no rain so the deer traffic kills it all off, then repeat. After planting 3 times now, I think I am going to call this season a lot cause. Just not enough rain in the foreseeable future to make it worth it.
Posted By: ifearnodeer

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 12/13/17 09:48 PM

Is there anything that I can plant that the hogs won't eat? Man those jokers tear up everything out there and trying to plan food plots for next year since it's so late in the season before I got my stuff together.

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 12/14/17 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: ifearnodeer
Is there anything that I can plant that the hogs won't eat? Man those jokers tear up everything out there and trying to plan food plots for next year since it's so late in the season before I got my stuff together.

X2
Posted By: rickym

Re: December 1. Is it to late to plant anything NE texas - 12/14/17 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Originally Posted By: ifearnodeer

X2

Keep dreaming fellas. They eat everything and will even dig up your seed before it has a chance to grow. Fencing your plot is the only thing that will work, otherwise plant more ground, shoot more pigs and pray!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum