Texas Hunting Forum

Describe your most productive stand site

Posted By: Texas Dan

Describe your most productive stand site - 10/24/17 04:18 AM

My favorite "pay off" stand site that doesn't overlook a feeder or food plot is a spot that's near a point where a very thin and broken line of small trees comes across an adjacent pasture and intersects with our fence. This line of trees actually travels across the entire pasture where it meets another fence and adjacent wooded area much like our property. Deer and hogs alike use it like a highway to travel between the two wooded areas where they find food and cover.

In most cases I wouldn't tout a stand site that's near a fence, however in this case all the deer-holding habitat is on our property. Also, the adjacent landowner has given me permission to enter his property and retrieve any deer I shoot so long as I kill every hog I see crossing his place.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Describe your most productive stand site - 10/30/17 05:05 PM

A low ridge covered in cedar and Spanish oak, when acorns are falling. This year there's a bumper crop. 3 of our fields are planted in oats, but have been struggling due to lack of rain. 6 stands to choose from. May just flip a coin.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Describe your most productive stand site - 10/30/17 05:34 PM

My favorite stand is best with a north wind but can be successfully hunted with south wind as well. I have a feeder to my east at 100 yards. I have 7 shooting lanes from this stand and strategically hand corn a few areas and have a couple small throw and grow plots in the lanes. There is a deep long draw about 100 yards back in the woods with thick cover for bedding and a very nice scrape line through my area. Have killed lots of hogs and seen quite a few deer so far. Just set it up this summer.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Describe your most productive stand site - 10/30/17 06:52 PM

Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Describe your most productive stand site - 10/30/17 07:05 PM

Deer are like rats on this 50 acres. They are so used to corn you just have to sprinkle a little on the ground and they are there. Same stand 2 feeders you can see 20 deer either direction at the same time when the feeder goes off.

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Describe your most productive stand site - 10/31/17 02:08 PM

This stand sits a top of a pretty tall hill. It is the only place you can see a long ways due to the gas line it sits on. We plant wheat in the bottom, along with the protein feeder and corn feeder this area gets a lot of action. The rest of my place is super thick with less than 100yrd visibility.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum