Texas Hunting Forum

Protecting food plot test from pigs?

Posted By: MrWhite87

Protecting food plot test from pigs? - 09/30/17 12:05 AM

Is this even remotely possible?
I've cleared the VAST majority of pigs off this property, (only 2 boars on game cams regularly over the last 3 weeks)
But I'm planning on planting the Whitetail Institute sampler pack i just got when i go out on tuesday.
I'm curious what If anything,y'all reccommend i can put down to keep things off of it long enough to let it germinate.
I dont have panels i can use to fence the whole thing off....
Posted By: Stub

Re: Protecting food plot test from pigs? - 09/30/17 12:47 PM

If you have a feeder throwing corn or whatever, at least put hog panels around it, maybe they will go to a neighbors who does not have panels on theirs. Other than that the best way to minimize the damage is to get a hog trap and keep trapping thme!
Posted By: PMK

Re: Protecting food plot test from pigs? - 10/02/17 02:37 PM

I put in 5 small food plots a couple weeks ago but turned the feeders off in those areas a month or so back to force the hogs to go to different areas. Hopefully they are in the habit of using the others feeders and won't go to the areas where the plots are located. Fingers crossed!!!

the past 3 years, just as the seeds started to sprout, the hogs rooted up most of the plots closest to feeders but left the others alone.
Posted By: MrWhite87

Re: Protecting food plot test from pigs? - 10/03/17 06:55 PM

Well, i got out to till the small area today and spread my test seeds. I'll see what works best and then go big with it in the spring.
The pigs havent been in this field too much, as theyve been hitting feeders that are deeper in the cover in a few clearings.
Hopefully they wont venture out here and tear it up too quickly.
I'll be getting another TC and mounting it to a 2x4 in this spot within the next 2 weeks.
food plot by Levi White, on Flickr
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum