Texas Hunting Forum

Rice Bran for Deer

Posted By: BenBob

Rice Bran for Deer - 09/29/17 06:31 PM

Anyone feed rice bran in their feed pens? Anyone know of any feed stores that carry rice bran?
Posted By: Fat Tire

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 09/29/17 06:59 PM

Atwood's has it. They also have it in pellet form. $6.99 for 50#. I tried it last year and it caused the cows (mainly a big bull) on our property to destroy my feeder pen.
Posted By: QuackerJacks

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 09/29/17 07:05 PM

Russell Feed and Supply has it in powder form in 50# bags. Don't recall the price but it was cheap.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 09/29/17 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Fat Tire
Atwood's has it. They also have it in pellet form. $6.99 for 50#. I tried it last year and it caused the cows (mainly a big bull) on our property to destroy my feeder pen.

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. Never had a problem before with normal protein but they went bezerk over that stuff.
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 09/29/17 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: QuackerJacks
Russell Feed and Supply has it in powder form in 50# bags. Don't recall the price but it was cheap.

I believe Russell was $8-$9 per 50 when I bought it. I've actually been meaning to go by and grab some.
Posted By: breadman

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 09/29/17 10:12 PM

I tried it on the deer in my backyard and they fight over it . I'm sold on it .
Posted By: QuackerJacks

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 09/29/17 11:06 PM

you just pour it out into piles?
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 10/03/17 02:53 PM

Yeah, I dump about 10 pounds.
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 10/03/17 06:53 PM

Palmers in San Angelo
Posted By: C&H OutDoors

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 10/05/17 08:23 PM

Have you ever tried dumping the pellets inside your feeder or are they too big? I'm completely inexperienced with rice bran.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 10/05/17 09:53 PM

Any one know where you can find heading from Dallas to Jacksboro?
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 10/05/17 10:08 PM

My cows sure like it. They licked the ground bare where some had been put out for pigs.
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 10/06/17 01:21 AM

I use rice bran when my feed store has it, works great when I top dress it with sugar beet crush.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 10/06/17 02:24 AM

They love it. Get the manna pro stabilized rice bran from tractor supply. Won’t go rancid as quick.

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 10/06/17 11:10 AM

It's not a pellet. It's the consistence of flour.
Posted By: Jim Adams

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 11/07/17 10:23 AM

Most of our Louisiana hunters, who have been using it for years put it on the ground or it a food trough either on ground or elevated. Feeding corn and protein has been legal for some years in LA, but we don't have the long history of Texas. Feed plots play a lerger role in LA deer management due to our soil and rain conditions. Feed pens are not as widely used either. There's no question deer love it and our many rice mills are making it readily available at Tractor Supply and other local livestock feed outlets. In the past its been available in bags only as an extrely fine powder. I have not seen the pellets. Be interesting to see if the binder they use will hold the pellet form. Hard to make something tougher than corn. I don't recommend using it in spin type feeder's AT ALL! Its so fine lt filters down through the corn and will clog up your feeder big time. In mine it formed esentially a 7 or 8 inch plug in the bottom of the barrel that only allowed food to flow out from directly above the spiner plate. Not very efficient. Lets us know how the pellets workI

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 11/07/17 12:04 PM

Stub, any feed store can get it.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 11/18/17 06:00 PM

I just got back from Ark hunt. My buddy puts it out on his 400 acres. The deer will hit it almost as soon as it hits the ground.
Posted By: Cajunrotor

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 02/14/18 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Any one know where you can find heading from Dallas to Jacksboro?

I usually get mine from Collin County Feed in McKinney (972) 542-5011. Ben doesn't always have it stocked, so I suggest a phone call to confirm before driving over to get any. It was $11/50# sack last time I bought it in December.

texas
Posted By: TXteal

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 02/20/18 08:25 PM

Deer in the hill country wouldn't touch it this season. I dumped two 50# sacks (persimmon and plain) outside of a feed pen and it lasted weeks. Finally the hogs found it. When I dumped a 50# sack at my place in Ruston, LA it was gone in 2 days. Must be something lacking in the pineywoods? BTW, it's much cheaper in LA, you can get 50# sacks for $5 to 6 depending on the scent added.
Posted By: brushycreek3

Re: Rice Bran for Deer - 02/27/18 04:27 AM

atwoods $6 pellets 50 pounds
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum