Texas Hunting Forum

What Are Yall Planting??

Posted By: C&H OutDoors

What Are Yall Planting?? - 09/23/17 03:12 AM

Monday I'm going to be putting out the following.

277-lb per acre of triple 13
111-lb per acre of oats
55-lb per acre of wheat
1.85-lb per acre of purple top turnips

My food plots add up to 3.6 acres

I'm open to suggestions from people that have been doing food plots for a few years, this is my 3rd year doing plots.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: What Are Yall Planting?? - 09/23/17 04:58 AM

Clover! Add four or five pounds per acre of a white perennial clover; generic Ladino, Louisiana S-1, Osceola, Patriot, Regal, Chickasaw, etc.
Posted By: scott gurney

Re: What Are Yall Planting?? - 09/23/17 04:46 PM

does clover type matter? why are some more expensive than others? also do you need to inoculate it? thx!
Posted By: Western

Re: What Are Yall Planting?? - 09/24/17 12:30 PM

From what I have read and a recommendation many years ago from a biologist Arrowleaf clover generally will do best in much of Texas, also reseeds well. Some are very poor to negligible re-seeders, not even considering our growth conditions.

Yes on inoculation until the right bacteria for that seed cultivar, has built up in the soil.

Race horse oats (whole oats) and some Winter wheat as a hedge on very cold weather has worked for me a long time, I have added many other things for giggles over the years and even had a great stand of alfalfa in Erath county, but oats and wheat work well together and will usually bring in the deer real good on its own.

What I have found when I add other types of seed, many will struggle since the oats/wheat grow so fast and block other plants out, I may get some arrowleaf to sprout good, but clovers will do most of there "thang" when Spring arrives.

I shoot for 75% whole oats, seed or usually race horse oats (much cheaper) and certified wheat seed at 25%ish.

I also take soil samples every other year or so and send to A&M, then try to fertilize to recommended requirements. The requirements will change as the ground is depleted and tilled depending on what you plant, lagumes can do a lot to improve soil over time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum