Texas Hunting Forum

Might be my all time......

Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Might be my all time...... - 04/02/23 07:58 PM

Still targeting big lone boars. Corn out at about10:30 PM, I'm on is first light the next morning and so was he. 180 yards, 129 gr. SST, 6.5 Creedmoor. About 90% of the boars I shoot is with .308, 165 gr. SST. This one died just like those, right there. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This big boy makes that feed sack, 45 qt cooler and rifle look microscopic.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Might be my all time...... - 04/02/23 08:27 PM

Did you happen to weigh him?

Re: Might be my all time...... - 04/02/23 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by GusWayne
Did you happen to weigh him?

No, I need to start carrying scales for my game hoist that attaches to my ranger. Those Panhandle pigs typically don't get as heavy relative to East Texas pigs. I kill a bunch that are tall, lean, heavy frame with huge heads but just not as heavy as the same size frame as pigs from other parts. This big boy had to cover a lot of miles per day just to find enough food to sustain himself.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Might be my all time...... - 04/02/23 08:53 PM

We just use a tape measure to get a good ballpark assessment of the weight. It is a whole lot less work than hoisting on a scale and is reliable.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Might be my all time...... - 04/02/23 10:51 PM

That's a bigboy. Nice kill.

I like to watch for the sounders...they seem to be more predictable than the lone boars IME, but I sure won't pass up a chance to kill the lone boars.

I've always wondered about hogs that stay away from the sounders. I've seen some larger sows that seem to avoid crowds, but most were boars, I think. I wonder if they're just unsociable individuals that choose a solitary lifestyle, or the other pigs have rejected them? I guess I could google it, but it's more fun to just talk about it.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Might be my all time...... - 04/02/23 11:58 PM

I’ve read that the lone boars are often called “cruisers” by some folks. They roam. I think I have one on this place now.

The OP sure killed a big one. Sure like to know the weight.

Re: Might be my all time...... - 04/03/23 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by RiverRider

I like to watch for the sounders...they seem to be more predictable than the lone boars IME, but I sure won't pass up a chance to kill the lone boars.

I've always wondered about hogs that stay away from the sounders. I've seen some larger sows that seem to avoid crowds, but most were boars, I think. I wonder if they're just unsociable individuals that choose a solitary lifestyle, or the other pigs have rejected them? I guess I could google it, but it's more fun to just talk about it.

I think they've honed their instincts from many years of survival. It's easier to slip around undetected alone rather than running with a sounder. They don't need the protection of a sounder and aren't about to share a food source with a sounder. To breed they hit it and quit it, go back to the single life. This old boy was OLD. Just a couple of months ago I shot two other lone boars that were smaller, and actually had longer cutters. I think the boar I shot this past weekend boar was older than the other two shown here, as his cutters on were wearing down. Other two were big, but this one, bigger. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The two pictured together were shot two days apart, just went back and loaded together after shooting the second for a group photo. All in this post were from the same set up. Tells me it's a good territory with lots of what boars want, and that territory isn't shared since I never see more than one of boars like this hanging around together like the members of a sounder do.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Might be my all time...... - 04/03/23 02:17 PM

Well done Sir! Or to paraphrase and old move.... You're gonna need a bigger cooler!"

Re: Might be my all time...... - 04/03/23 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Big Sam
Well done Sir! Or to paraphrase and old move.... You're gonna need a bigger cooler!"

Thanks, but the only thing that goes in that cooler is beer, water and lunch.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Might be my all time...... - 04/03/23 03:14 PM

Even so, if you're putting beer in it then a bigger cooler might be good.

cheers

Re: Might be my all time...... - 04/03/23 03:19 PM

Even so, if you're putting beer in it then a bigger cooler might be good.

cheers

Point taken.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Might be my all time...... - 04/04/23 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

I think they've honed their instincts from many years of survival. It's easier to slip around undetected alone rather than running with a sounder. They don't need the protection of a sounder and aren't about to share a food source with a sounder. To breed they hit it and quit it, go back to the single life. This old boy was OLD. Just a couple of months ago I shot two other lone boars that were smaller, and actually had longer cutters. I think the boar I shot this past weekend boar was older than the other two shown here, as his cutters on were wearing down. Other two were big, but this one, bigger. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The two pictured together were shot two days apart, just went back and loaded together after shooting the second for a group photo. All in this post were from the same set up. Tells me it's a good territory with lots of what boars want, and that territory isn't shared since I never see more than one of boars like this hanging around together like the members of a sounder do.

I can smell those nasty things from here. barf
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Might be my all time...... - 04/04/23 05:36 PM

Nice one! So hard to tell in pics, but I like to take a guess on weight anyways. My 'shooting from the hip' guess is 265-275.
Posted By: Theblakester

Re: Might be my all time...... - 04/04/23 10:58 PM

Sshhhheeeeeeeeeee!!!! That’s a biggun’
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum