Texas Hunting Forum

Great Day For Me

Posted By: Sick Train

Great Day For Me - 03/14/23 12:03 PM

Headed out to the ranch this past weekend to do a lot of work with my dad and brother. With all the work that needed to be done I wasn't planning on taking my rifle with me but last minute I decided to throw it in the truck. A few weeks back I switched my feed times to just nighttime feeding. Goes off at 6:45, 9:00 & 11:00.

We got out there about 6:30pm and I set up my rifle on the tripod. Then we walked some of the area we had planned on working first thing in the morning and heard the feeder go off at 6:45 I walked out to the sendero a few mins later and saw a hog there so got behind my rifle and took him out about 100 yards out. Waited a few mins and we took a walk down the sendero and when we were getting close heard another hog in the brush grunting really loud. We took a few steps back waiting to see if he was coming out or not but didn't.

Here comes 9:00 when the next feed time goes off. By this time we had the camp site lights on and music playing. A few mins after 9:00 my dad walks over to the truck and he sees that the green motion feeder light is on so I get back out there behind my rifle and sure enough another one is out there. Took him out as well.

These are the first two hogs that I have shot out there in years. My goal is to set up this small tract of land mainly for night time hog hunting. I recently purchased a DNV scope but haven't had the time to actually sight it in so took my regular hunting rifle with normal scope. I'm really glad I decided to take my rifle with me at the last minute. I'm officially hooked on hunting hogs now.

Here are a few pics, they don't do the hogs justice. Look smaller in the pics than in real life. We had to drag them out, no way we were going to lift them by hand onto the truck.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Great Day For Me - 03/14/23 12:36 PM

Nice work. Boy those two look to be stout, even for hogs. What caliber were you using? I have my AR set up in .450 Bushmaster but haven't had a chance to put it to work.

Re: Great Day For Me - 03/14/23 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nolanco
Nice work. Boy those two look to be stout, even for hogs. What caliber were you using? I have my AR set up in .450 Bushmaster but haven't had a chance to put it to work.

Shot them with my LMT 308 MWS. My dedicated hog rifle set up with the DNV scope is a 6.8 SPC but it took 2 shots with the 308 to keep these boys down so now I'm reconsidering the 6.8SPC. I had another stout one show up on camera last night at the feeder.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Great Day For Me - 03/14/23 01:23 PM

Don't worry about the 6.8 - it will DRT them.

JR

Re: Great Day For Me - 03/14/23 01:30 PM

Got him at the feeder last night for a good while.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Great Day For Me - 03/14/23 03:00 PM

Well done! It pays to be prepared
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Great Day For Me - 03/14/23 03:24 PM

Nice going. Keep after 'em!
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Great Day For Me - 03/14/23 04:33 PM

Always take something that goes bang. There are times it feels like they’re just waiting for you to let your guard down so they can stand in front of you and give you the raspberry.
Posted By: Whammer7

Re: Great Day For Me - 03/14/23 05:59 PM

Looks like you got a couple of healthy hogs there. Well done
Posted By: twdjr

Re: Great Day For Me - 03/18/23 01:46 PM

up
Posted By: duffas

Re: Great Day For Me - 03/18/23 02:26 PM

Does that BOG hold the rifle secure? Thinking about a head for my tripod.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Great Day For Me - 03/18/23 05:04 PM

Good shooting. Send those hogs to "hog heaven".... upright freezer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum