Texas Hunting Forum

wild hog on the smoker...

Posted By: lubbockdave

wild hog on the smoker... - 02/16/23 03:00 AM

OK, broke down a month ago and picked up a pit barrel smoker-LOVE IT!! Been doing ribs, chicken and did a pork butt last weekend that turned out GREAT! Got me to thinking though-been shooting wild hogs for 20 years and for 20 years I have tried to like the meat and just can't, unless it's ground into sausage. So I'd like to try once more, but is wild hog fat enough to slow smoke and not dry out? If so what is your favorite recipe?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: wild hog on the smoker... - 02/16/23 03:28 PM

I haven't tried it but Snakewrangler on here has posted some good looking smoked pork. He burns the hair off and smokes with the hide on and it sure looks good as pulled pork.

Found one of his threads https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6688680/1

Posted By: lubbockdave

Re: wild hog on the smoker... - 02/17/23 01:15 AM

dude that does look GOOD!
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: wild hog on the smoker... - 02/17/23 02:16 AM

Ive smoked one on a stick burner

This is what we did...

Add your favorite seasoning and smoke it until done

Pull it, shred it and toss into crock pot, add more of your favorite seasoning for a few hours

And then make tacos, its pretty good
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: wild hog on the smoker... - 02/17/23 02:54 AM

I just layer up a quarter with some bacon after adding rub, smoke for about 3 hours, wrap with foil and back on until it's 200 degrees.
Posted By: steventtu

Re: wild hog on the smoker... - 02/17/23 08:10 PM

Just curious, what part of the state do you live in? Where I am, wild hog is really mild/tasty. I've smoked a hog shoulder before, as well as some ribs. This may be personal preference, but I think it works much better with Mexican spices/flavors than traditional BBQ flavors like honey/brown sugar.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum