Texas Hunting Forum

I haven't see one this big in a few years...

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/04/22 09:50 AM

I have never seen one over 400 lbs in the field, but have seen few over 300. This is the 2nd (or 3rd?) over 300 lbs that I have taken with Pig_Popper. This boar was part of a larger sounder. While Pig_Popper had his sights set on this dude, I looked after the littles, or that was the plan. In the end, we both shot a little bit of everything.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/04/22 10:48 AM

up Well done.
Posted By: mikei

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/04/22 12:09 PM

Good work, you two! Puts at least a tiny dent in the population!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/04/22 12:22 PM

I’ve seen a couple that size but only on my cams
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/04/22 01:05 PM

Well done! The largest I've encountered was a 295 pounder that we caught in a trap. The largest I've shot was around 270. Those >300# hogs are pretty rare in the wild, indeed.

Keep after 'em!
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/04/22 02:11 PM

Did you guys get a weight on him?

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/04/22 02:44 PM

Yes, he taped at 330 lbs (field method). I guess that technically, if you follow the chart and use all the math, he came is at 334 lbs.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/04/22 03:41 PM

cheers

I’m very thankful we didn’t have to lift him into a truck or cart, this boy was wide too !

It was awesome to see another 300+ hog again , I believe the last one for us was 5+ years back .

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/04/22 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
cheers

I’m very thankful we didn’t have to lift him into a truck or cart, this boy was wide too !

We were not ever going to get that hog out of that field before the buzzards if we used my truck or my cart. That field was too muddy! I am sure the landowner is using his big tractor.
Posted By: twdjr

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/04/22 09:28 PM

up
Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/04/22 09:48 PM

Nice trophy hog! Did you get video?

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/04/22 10:14 PM

We did get video. It will be a couple of days before we can get them synced with audio and such.
Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/05/22 12:00 AM

Awesome! Looking forward to it. Love your videos
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/05/22 12:05 AM

Cant wait for the video myself, good job guys!
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/05/22 06:20 PM

Nice moose!

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/06/22 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
Nice moose!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/06/22 01:22 PM

Very good. I agree a true 300lb boar is pretty dang rare. I have killed one in the last 5 years that was 100% legit. Maybe one or two others if I could have weighed them, maybe. Had one a month ago that was real deal 285 lb boar. Most of our biggest ones are pregnant sows though.
Posted By: Dzhitshard

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/06/22 01:58 PM

N
I
C
E

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/06/22 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by JTPinTX
Very good. I agree a true 300lb boar is pretty dang rare. I have killed one in the last 5 years that was 100% legit. Maybe one or two others if I could have weighed them, maybe. Had one a month ago that was real deal 285 lb boar. Most of our biggest ones are pregnant sows though.

I don't see many sows over 200 and know my largest killed was 290 and VERY pregnant.

Had problems with the video editing and upload and had to upload multiple times. So, finally, here is the video...

Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/07/22 01:23 PM

"That left all the other hogs for me, which is fine by me." LMAO, I like that point of view. You could really tell that was a big boar in that video. A man among boys, my father would say.

200 lbs, +/- 10 lbs or so is about the top end of what I consider somewhat common around here. No doubt 200 is a good pig for sure, but generally every 2-3 times we go out we will have something that hits in that weight range, or pretty close. Somewhere around that size is usually the point I say "lets weigh that one." At least if we are in my truck and have the hoist/scale available.

This year on sows I have weighed one at 278 confirmed, and had one a couple weeks before that which was pretty close to the same but I didn't have scales with me. That one had another sow with her that was probably 225 or so. Killed a huge sow a couple months ago but she was on the wet side of a running pivot in a cotton patch and I could not get the truck to her for a couple days. By then she was too bad to weigh (100 degree heat) but I did get her head. She had crazy cutters for a sow. I'm guessing she was easily 260-270. I know besides those we have had 3-4 more sows that would break 200 this year generally in that 200-225 range. Most of those we weighed, I just don't have my log here to look in and confirm exact weights.

Boars we had a really unusual night here a little while back. Could not find any sounders but killed 3 lone boars in separate spots, all one night. They went 178, 237, and 285. Never had a night like that on boars before. Other than that have killed a couple more boars in the 200-225 range this year. Last year the biggest boar was 247. No doubt the big lone boars are around. We see lone pigs and I know some of them are big boars. I do a lot of my hunting with a landowner who is highly concerned with crop damage. He always opts for quantity, lol. If we pull up to a field and there is a sounder plus some outlying lone pigs we always go for the sounder. No doubt we are passing up some good boars out by themselves but he wants to hammer the baby factories. And I don't blame him a bit. You have to.

I have killed one pig that I know was way over 300. That was out west of Ozona about 3-4 years ago. Big boar. I sure wish I could have weighed him.

For our area I would say anything over 230-250 is a dang good pig. Anything 250-280 is in the category of maybe 2-4 of them a year. Bigger than that maybe one every year or two.
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/08/22 02:08 PM

"Goooood!" Awesome video (and hunt)!
Posted By: Theblakester

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/11/22 02:08 AM

Congratulations! What a beast! His shield goes half way down his back. Pretty big pig too 😜
Posted By: Douglas Tipton

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/11/22 10:58 PM

Going to my grave thinking this one from last year went tree fiddy... hat and AR-10 for scale.

Attached picture 20210508_223913.jpg
Attached picture 20210508_223839.jpg
Attached picture 20220911_175711.jpg
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/22/22 03:23 PM

I’ve seen several bar hogs that went over 300, but only 1 boar that I remember. That’s a big one you guys got there. In the wild, they don’t get a whole lot bigger unless they’ve been cut.

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/22/22 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jstocks
I’ve seen several bar hogs that went over 300, but only 1 boar that I remember. That’s a big one you guys got there. In the wild, they don’t get a whole lot bigger unless they’ve been cut.

Thanks!

I have never (knowingly, either before or after the fact) killed a bar hog, but have seen a couple that others killed. I did kill one hog that had testicles that failed to descend that looked like a bar hog except he wasn't particularly large, and he actually had testicles. This is called being a cryptorchid.
Posted By: Wilson Combat

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/22/22 10:26 PM

300#+ boar hogs are like wide 12pt heavy horn Whitetails, you just don't see them often! I hog hunt on average 5 nights a week and have been for close to 10 years now and I've killed 4 302-315# boars and 1 318# bar (weighed on scales). A "honest" 225#+ boar is a really good trophy and also not what you see frequently where I hunt.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/24/22 12:21 AM

The holy grail for big feral hogs in Texas is 10-20 miles north of Guthrie Texas. I have never been any other place where the average pig is 250 pounds and the big ones are monsters. Supposedly they are descended from Durock and Poland China stock. If I were to estimate the biggest one I shot it would have to be near 600 pounds. And I've seen bigger ones. Monsters. We used to sneak up n em in the moonlight without any night vision. This might seem foolhardy but there were rattlesnakes around. Exciting every time. There was also a giant skunk that would stand there and hold their tail up and let you walk into em if you didn't see it. Crap.
Posted By: Wilson Combat

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/24/22 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by rickt300
The holy grail for big feral hogs in Texas is 10-20 miles north of Guthrie Texas. I have never been any other place where the average pig is 250 pounds and the big ones are monsters. Supposedly they are descended from Durock and Poland China stock. If I were to estimate the biggest one I shot it would have to be near 600 pounds. And I've seen bigger ones. Monsters. We used to sneak up n em in the moonlight without any night vision. This might seem foolhardy but there were rattlesnakes around. Exciting every time. There was also a giant skunk that would stand there and hold their tail up and let you walk into em if you didn't see it. Crap.

What are the crops grown in that area? I've heard the get really big where they grow peanuts.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: I haven't see one this big in a few years... - 09/24/22 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
Originally Posted by rickt300

What are the crops grown in that area? I've heard the get really big where they grow peanuts.

They do grow peanuts, cotton and corn. It is all irrigated where they farm. There are a lot of "Shin oak" which put out some really big acorns and also a lot of wild plum.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum