Texas Hunting Forum

Javelina

Posted By: Dave Scott

Javelina - 07/08/22 02:22 PM

What do you do with a Javelina? They aren't supposed to be very tasty. The skulls look pretty good for the size of the animal. Does anyone actually do a shoulder mount?
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Javelina - 07/08/22 02:24 PM

They make cool Euro mounts and they are delicious.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Javelina - 07/09/22 12:10 AM

The young ones I have eaten have been good. If its a boar, throw it away.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Javelina - 07/09/22 12:20 AM

Javelinas are made for target practice. Surely you have seen one of the thousands of shoulder mounted javelinas in Tx? I used to have one mounted over my toilet when I was in my 20’s. I wouldn’t eat one and I’ve killed hundreds.

A buddy and I got permission to mule deer hunt on a guys place near Kent when I was in high school. He said we could hunt but we had to kill every Jav we saw. We had to buy more ammo after the first day. Apparently they are hard on goat wire fence.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Javelina - 07/09/22 12:37 AM

So, they're a state game animal, and I've never heard of the limit being more than two in a year, so, I wouldn't be posting my exploits on the net. 'Not saying they aren't a pest, or don't run deer off.

Backstrap is decent, handled properly. Cut the scent gland off carefully.

Don't dump them in the lease dump. An acquaintance of mine can tell you why. eek2
Posted By: mikei

Re: Javelina - 07/09/22 01:22 AM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/animals/javelina/#autotoc-item-autotoc-0 Looks like 2 per year, Creekrunner.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Javelina - 07/09/22 02:06 AM

I hope they don’t send the Texas Rangers out for killing javelina 30 years ago.
Posted By: 65x55

Re: Javelina - 07/09/22 02:08 PM

I'd love to give them a go some day, and eat one afterhand.

Re: Javelina - 07/09/22 02:45 PM

Well the skulls look really good. I thought I'd glue the halves together and have it on a base- a table top conversation piece.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Javelina - 07/09/22 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Scott
What do you do with a Javelina? They aren't supposed to be very tasty. The skulls look pretty good for the size of the animal. Does anyone actually do a shoulder mount?

They make neat shoulder mounts.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Javelina - 07/09/22 07:44 PM

They do make for a neat mount. Expect to pay as the best mount is with an open mouth and that costs more.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Javelina - 07/09/22 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
They do make for a neat mount. Expect to pay as the best mount is with an open mouth and that costs more.

Every Texan needs one. up I paid way too much for one, but it is well done. Hippo Taxidermy out of Alpine. He was on a different pasture lease on the same ranch as my lease and he took it back with him. I don't mind paying for good work, but if I'm paying a premium, at least do what you say you're gonna do. 'Typical taxidermy story - excuse after excuse, mainly from the wife, which, he apparently split with soon after (he didn't come back to the lease).

'Also have a couple of euros. They are cool little devils.
Posted By: Frio Town

Re: Javelina - 07/09/22 11:59 PM

I have quite a few on the ranch to enjoy so I don't need a mount to remind me. Here is one picture I found in the batch. [Linked Image]

Frio

Re: Javelina - 07/11/22 03:12 PM

That look's good, worth paying for open mouth. Thanks. Question??? Do they use the actual skull or a plastic skull? In other words, if plastic could also get the actual.
Posted By: anacacho

Re: Javelina - 07/19/22 12:27 PM

They can make an excellent mount and the meat makes for good jerky. A lot people complain about the smell, but, assuming it is cleaned right, the smell does not affect the taste of the meat.
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Javelina - 07/22/22 04:27 PM

Most people don’t know how to cook. I bet it tastes fine.
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: Javelina - 07/25/22 01:31 AM

Make good mounts
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum