Texas Hunting Forum

New Hog Gun Optic Recommendations?

Posted By: RANGER94F

New Hog Gun Optic Recommendations? - 01/24/22 01:08 PM

Hello Everyone!

New member here. Looks like a wonderful community. I went on my first hog hunt last year in SC and had a ball. Now I have the bug. I was looking for some recommendations on converting a new to me: DPMS LR-308 into my Hog Gun! Mainly shooting less than 200 yards. It has been many years since I have played with the AR platform.

1) I have a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9X40. I assume that is OK?
a. I am not sure what mounts to get?
2) I would also like to add flip up sights as insurance policy. Can you recommend any?
3) I would like to start with torch lights before jumping in on night vision.
a. Can you recommend a torch and mount for this rifle.

Sorry if this has been covered in the past, my ability to search over whelmed me..

Ranger94
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: yotehater

Re: New Hog Gun Optic Recommendations? - 01/24/22 02:13 PM

Nice rig. Start saving for thermal if you are serious about hogs. Everything else will just lead you in that direction.
Posted By: GNTX

Re: New Hog Gun Optic Recommendations? - 01/24/22 05:10 PM

As for torch lights, you’ll want something that throws out a decent amount of green light. But that won’t do you any good if your scope doesn’t have an illuminated reticle.

Alternatively, you can get into digital night vision and use a decent IR illuminator to get the job done. Look at the Sightmark Wraith series. Later on, when you get the money to go with thermal as Yotehater suggested, you can use the digital night vision setup as a spare on a different rifle.

Good luck and kill them all!
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: New Hog Gun Optic Recommendations? - 01/24/22 07:54 PM

You can go to Amazon and get any manner of Pic rail/KeyMod mount for your light. If you really want some flip'ups, I'd mount those on a 45' angle off the right side. I'm very comfortable stating you'll never use them. smile Get an optic of some kind, then get a suppressor.

Good luck!
Charlie
Posted By: RANGER94F

Re: New Hog Gun Optic Recommendations? - 01/24/22 09:06 PM

You guys are awesome!!!! Thanks so much!!!
Posted By: syncerus

Re: New Hog Gun Optic Recommendations? - 01/25/22 01:33 AM

If you plan on hunting over feeders, consider using feeder lights instead of something on your rifle. For what it’s worth, you might also want to skip the irons, at least for hog hunting. 90% of your shots will be in little or no light, especially after you shoot the first few.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: New Hog Gun Optic Recommendations? - 01/28/22 05:32 AM

Nightforce rings

All kinds of hog lights to attach to your weapon. Just get on line and find a few. The good ones cost about 100 to 150ish. I like green lights and make sure you get one that has a focus beam for your light, You want to be able to focus it in close or far away.

The light will most likely come with a mount to your picattiny

3X9 will be just fine.

Looks like a hog killin rifle!!
Posted By: Boog1

Re: New Hog Gun Optic Recommendations? - 01/30/22 02:01 AM

We pretty much shoot thermal exclusively but from your comments about graduating into night vision and starting with a torch, I’d recommend a Sniper Hog Lights 66LRX. You can change out the LED modules and start with white or red light and then if/when you switch to digital night vision, you can switch it out to an ir module.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: New Hog Gun Optic Recommendations? - 01/30/22 02:26 AM

You need an ar mount/rings , example Burris PEPR

Skip the insurance back up sights

I would just get something from stream light for the light. Several styles
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: New Hog Gun Optic Recommendations? - 01/30/22 02:27 AM

That is a nice rig and it should serve you well

I have been at it awhile AND I still haven't gotten mine perfect yet

But for hog gun (I assume you thermal hunt), I do

I am wanting the lightest rig I can get and that always comes to a SBR or pistol AR

I will most likely soon get one,762,6.5 CM, 6.5 Grendal I am not sure yet maybe 308 IDK
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum