Texas Hunting Forum

Spears

Posted By: BigPig

Spears - 12/08/21 06:42 AM

Anybody hunted or killed pigs with spears? I’ve got a great place in VZ Co where I know I can get this done. What’s a good spear? Will a 10-12 foot tripod stand be tall enough?
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Spears - 12/08/21 01:17 PM

I made a skinny small trap once and caught a few in it. I made a spear/spike to kill in the trap. It was really just steel dowel with a sharp end and a handle threaded at the other end. With 2 hands and full body thrust, it didn't work that well. Lots of bone in the way. I abandoned it for a 9mm.
I think if you spear one, you may never find it. Not wanting to discourage, have you considered an atlatl?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Spears - 12/08/21 02:16 PM

There was a show on outdoor channel years ago with a crazy guy in Florida that hunted pigs with a Trident. It was interesting to say the least.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Spears - 12/08/21 06:46 PM

Cold steel makes some spears.
Tim Wells has some vids with spear hunting.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Spears - 12/08/21 08:21 PM

Tim Wells uses cold steel stuff if I recall correctly, and his spears are so heavy and sharp he can drop it and it will slide right through.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Spears - 12/08/21 10:54 PM

I think the issue with a spear is something heavy enough to penetrate, but still light enough throw at least some distance. I think being in a tree and essentially dropping a heavy spear-type object working best.

Charlie
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Spears - 12/08/21 11:39 PM

I've got an all metal spear in my closet. 'More akin to a Samburu spear. I need to practice with it. My grandson would get a kick out of killin' something with it.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Spears - 12/10/21 01:55 AM

Dropping the spear, of thrusting it straight down is what I’m envisioning. Throwing shoulder is tore up, I can barely throw a baseball 50 feet without being in pain.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Spears - 12/13/21 04:34 AM

Would be cool to do that. cheers
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Spears - 12/13/21 01:25 PM

My Montana brother kills quite a few animals with a spear. I believe Cold Steel is the maker. It isn't about throwing with these heavy spear heads but pushing, usually from an elevated position. You lift up and thrust or push downwards, pretty effective.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum