Texas Hunting Forum

Patterning pigs

Posted By: Harkriscar

Patterning pigs - 05/28/21 03:52 AM

Here in SC, the pigs are not as plentiful where I hunt. But a few come to my corn piles pretty regularly. I’m putting out a bag of whole corn every week or two. The visits are at random times, but usually daily. I’m wondering if I instead use a feeder, and broadcast corn on a routine schedule, would this help to get the pigs on a more predictable timeframe. My hunt time is limited so anything I can do to predict the best time would help. If so, what time and sequence would be recommended?
I know many variables affect this but curious if there are ways to develop patterns.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Patterning pigs - 05/28/21 09:43 AM

The hogs and deer both are a little more regular timewise when you have a feeder going. The deer are more regular, but hogs are a little bit more predictable.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Patterning pigs - 05/28/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Old Stony
The hogs and deer both are a little more regular timewise when you have a feeder going. The deer are more regular, but hogs are a little bit more predictable.

Pretty much what he said. The deer will learn what time the feeder goes off and show up 15 minutes early. The hogs aren't nearly as predictable over the long run, but they'll show up more often if food is regularly available.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Patterning pigs - 05/28/21 08:28 PM

Get a camera is the best way to pattern them
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Patterning pigs - 05/28/21 08:42 PM

I have found my deer can be very predictable until rut. The hogs not so. I can kill one or two and they will disappear for a week or two. Watching trail cams from time to time I will find a single boar that will become predictable. Sows and sounders not so much. Just my two cents.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Patterning pigs - 05/28/21 09:06 PM

Hogs may pattern until they stop.

I have heard or read a hundred times hunters complaining that they had patterned their hogs, only to have the hogs mysteriously not show up.

Get a feeder. Feed ONLY at times you will be hunting. If you aren't going to be hunting in the mornings, don't have a dawn feeding. You want hogs coming when you WILL be there, not when you won't.

Doesn't mean they will stay on pattern, but it helps push the odds in your favor.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum