Texas Hunting Forum

big boar

Posted By: activescrape

big boar - 04/11/21 12:20 AM

Shot this guy last evening, northern San Saba county. Only shot I had was straight on, just the face, in thick cover. Put one right in his mouth, guess it went on back and got his spine, never took a step. Taped 4'6" snout to base of tail. I've killed tons of pigs and this one is way up there, weight wise. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jetdad

Re: big boar - 04/11/21 12:40 AM

I bet he smells nice too.
Posted By: mikei

Re: big boar - 04/11/21 12:57 AM

Good work! Shoot 'em in the face; shoot 'em in the butt; but keep on shootin' 'em!! banana
Posted By: activescrape

Re: big boar - 04/11/21 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by jetdad
I bet he smells nice too.

I watched him piss hisself for two minutes, then he got in the woods and showed a couple of minutes later. He was drenched . Sick.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: big boar - 04/11/21 01:21 AM

Bigun for sure
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: big boar - 04/11/21 01:45 AM

Well done! up
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: big boar - 04/11/21 04:06 AM

Nice hog.

You know if you are going to measure the length, you might as well measure the heart girth (in inches) right behind the shoulders at the pits, getting the smallest circumference possible. Multiply by 10 and subtract 200 and that will give you a good approximation of the weight.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: big boar - 04/12/21 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Nice hog.

You know if you are going to measure the length, you might as well measure the heart girth (in inches) right behind the shoulders at the pits, getting the smallest circumference possible. Multiply by 10 and subtract 200 and that will give you a good approximation of the weight.

^^^^^

I keep a cloth tape in both vehicles I use for hunting and often use this formula rather than weigh them on a scale. It is fairly accurate.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached picture HG1.jpg
Posted By: Tortoise2187

Re: big boar - 04/13/21 12:41 AM

There any source material on that calculation? 10lb difference is pretty substantial on a 49lb hog, but not nearly as concerning on a 349lb hog.
Just curious, I have no experience on measuring myself.
Posted By: BigKen

Re: big boar - 04/13/21 12:53 AM

Nice BIG Hog!! Good work!
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: big boar - 04/13/21 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tortoise2187
There any source material on that calculation? 10lb difference is pretty substantial on a 49lb hog, but not nearly as concerning on a 349lb hog.

I don't know the origin of it....but I have weighed many, many hogs and then compared against the Heart Girth method and it remains fairly close for the hogs in my area.

That said, there ARE notable exceptions. Pregnant females (depending on far along) can weigh significantly more than 'taped'.

Certain body types (long slender hogs, versus squared off, chunky hogs) will weigh differently, but on average the mature hogs, in good condition will be pretty close to the posted figures. Close enough that I rarely put them on a scale anymore. In fact, never unless its a really large one....and then just to satisfy my curiosity.

If it appears to be under 250 lbs. I'm not really interested in its true weight. Most of the time I can estimate the hogs weight within 10-15 lbs of what the scale will tell.

After many hundreds, you develop an eye for it.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: big boar - 04/13/21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tortoise2187

The formula most of us use is to multiply the heart girth by ten and the subtract 200 from that product.

The exact formula is — Pig Weight = 10.1709 × Heart girth - 205.7492.
It's described here: https://www.asi.k-state.edu/doc/swine-day-2002/heartgirthpg166.pdf
and also here: https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/2051/2016/07/Cover-Letter-1.pdf

So the approximation commonly used by hunters might understate the 'real' weight by maybe five pounds or so, but it's accurate enough for conversational purposes.
Posted By: JCO

Re: big boar - 04/17/21 02:58 PM

Big Nasty is down.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: big boar - 04/19/21 02:34 PM

cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum