Texas Hunting Forum

Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks

Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/07/21 12:39 PM

Would love to see them allowed for hog hunting. Our legislators are probably too scared of the other side to do it, but I keep pumping emails at my representatives.

And just because it is illegal at the federal level obviously means nothing (just ask the 17 states and DC who have legalized marijuana).

If anyone agrees, please contact your state senator and representative.

If you don't, no worries.

Thanks.
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/07/21 01:33 PM

Are they illegal? I thought BATFE got slapped on that ban by courts?

Are they illegal to shoot hogs with in Texas? Thought you could kill hogs with anything you could think of...?

I don't have anything against bumpstocks. But I personally wouldn't use one for hunting. Even hogs.

Don't you think if you needed more firepower than a regular AR would give, then a good binary trigger would give much better aimed, controlled fire?

Not that I don't feel you shouldn't have and shoot what you want, I'm just wondering why. I bet you'd kill more without it.
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/07/21 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BbarVRanch
Are they illegal? I thought BATFE got slapped on that ban by courts?

Yep. The bump stock ban was thrown out. They're legal unless there's a state law I'm unaware of.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/07/21 09:42 PM

legal; but useless for hunting anything
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/08/21 12:47 AM

If you need a bump stock to shoot hogs, you don’t know how to shoot hogs.

Charlie
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/08/21 01:52 AM

Bump stocks are trash
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/08/21 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by glocker17

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Bump stocks are trash

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/08/21 12:24 PM

The courts are all over the place it appears on the matter. We did get a recent victory in one appeals court.

but if they are no good for hog hunting I will take the word of the guys that have used them.

Every time I stalk up on a group/herd/sounder I only seem to get a couple. Maybe I need to go with some pros to learn how to better do it
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/08/21 02:28 PM

What right to they have to outlaw them? Where do they get their authority to act?

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/08/21 03:32 PM

Mr. Trump decided he could ban them and so they figured the only way they could do it was say they are "machine guns" - here's a quick article - people lost thousands and thousands of dollars because of this triple-unconstitutional action (2nd amendment, 5th amendment, ex post facto).

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/18/6777...evices-used-in-deadly-las-vegas-shooting
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/08/21 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer
The courts are all over the place it appears on the matter. We did get a recent victory in one appeals court.

but if they are no good for hog hunting I will take the word of the guys that have used them.

Every time I stalk up on a group/herd/sounder I only seem to get a couple. Maybe I need to go with some pros to learn how to better do it

Bump stocks are not good for hunting because they tend to be spray and pray and spray and pray is notoriously inefficient for downing hogs succinctly.

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/08/21 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Bump stocks are not good for hunting because they tend to be spray and pray and spray and pray is notoriously inefficient for downing hogs succinctly.

My aim is notoriously inefficient for downing hogs succinctly - at least in large numbers roflmao

Thanks!
Posted By: kman2017

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/08/21 09:11 PM

Bump stocks are useless; they don't have any purpose, sporting or otherwise. All they do is lead people to further scrutinize ARs. Forced reset triggers & binary triggers are going to do the same thing. These exist for one purpose and it is to mimick a fully automatic rifle. I have zero problem with these being regulated by the NFA.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/08/21 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by kman2017
Bump stocks are useless; they don't have any purpose, sporting or otherwise. All they do is lead people to further scrutinize ARs. Forced reset triggers & binary triggers are going to do the same thing. These exist for one purpose and it is to mimick a fully automatic rifle. I have zero problem with these being regulated by the NFA.

Sweet Jesus, WTH is wrong with you guys? You might as well as agree to bend over and tap your toes and let Uncle Joe show you were his baby monster goes,,, You good with registering guns to? I mean for Christ’s sake it’s for the better good right? Hell while we’re at it let’s give back all our semi autos this year to, next year it’s your single shots and the following they might remove your butt plug.. Is that where we draw the line? Can’t loose those plugs cousin Eddy muyloco

FYI I think their junk but it’s the principal of the matter with me,

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/08/21 11:19 PM

You are part of the problem.

I don't have either of those items, but I'd damm sure fight for everyone's freedom to own and use them.

You may want to educate yourself on "mimick a fully automatic rifle" as well. They don't, in any capacity do that. If you'd ever fired anything full auto, you'd know better.

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/09/21 01:25 AM

+1

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/09/21 01:28 AM

My aim is notoriously inefficient for downing hogs succinctly - at least in large numbers roflmao

Thanks!

That may be true, but that is something you can work on. A bump stock will just make you less succinct and cost you more money.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/09/21 03:17 AM

+1

+2
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/09/21 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by glocker17

Legal, as they should be...but, yes, they are still useless.

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/09/21 01:26 PM

"Useless" is a value statement and is, in fact, untrue for many people. Bumpstocks are great for turning ammunition into smoke, noise, and fun.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/10/21 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

+1

+2

+3

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/12/21 02:13 PM

My issues are with the U.S. Constitution- pretty much wiped out. My understanding is that Sovereign states relinquished some of their powers to act (from the people) to a Federal Government but the authority of the Federal Government did not go beyond what was WRITTEN in the Constitution As such, we were a collection of States with a limited Federal government. A "United" states. I think that kind of freedom contributed to the USA becoming the greatest country in the history of the world. Nowadays we have Federal Revenue sharing. Technically a state can say "NO" to the Federal government but if they do, no more federal money. I know there are laws "on the books" saying Fed Gov can't do that but such is the reality IMHO> So.....whenever a President just arbitrarily says he is going to do this or that- rubs me the wrong way. One example is Trump and the Covid-19. Everyone mad as a wet hen about him not doing anything. Was he supposed to? What about Congress? What about the States? Why does everyone today look at the President as a King?
I think perhaps the most important articles in the "Bill of Rights" are the 9th and 10th Amendments. Any state power then in existence, or liberty/right practiced by the people, where retained by them. IMHO 90% of todays laws violate those two amendments. One other idea I've sort of fallen upon lately. The News media jokes around that the "People" vote as they are instructed by the News Media. If so, ever greater "Democracy" in our society only extends the power of the Press. Probably why the Media keeps crowing about democracy. I'm wondering if things were better when the Senators were chosen by State legislatures. These legislatures would pick someone well experienced and who's loyalty would be to the State that sent him to Washington. The citizens, in voting for the representative/congressmen, still had the negative power over the Senate so the interests of the people are preserved. The original Constitution was a work of art, it seems every change is for the worst, with a few exceptions- like the VP.
So, getting back to Biden, I'd be a whole lot happier if he played by the rules, simply state he was asking Congress to look into the matter of some firearm issues and have the Supreme court chime in on the legality of any proposed legislation. What is WRONG with simply doing it the right way?
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/12/21 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Scott
I'd be a whole lot happier if he played by the rules, simply state he was asking Congress to look into the matter of some firearm issues and have the Supreme court chime in on the legality of any proposed legislation. What is WRONG with simply doing it the right way?

I agree. If any of the people in the government (from the executive office on down) ever wanted to do what is best for the country and the people, they would (or would have) tried to limit the executive order. The president was never meant to legislate. I heard there was a legislator who was trying to make EO’s temporary unless confirmed by congress. Only the true patriots got behind this idea (in other words, almost no one).

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/12/21 08:54 PM

And just for the record....I am pretty much a middle of the road guy. NOT a "right wing extremist". For example, employers running a credit check on job applicants looking for construction work, etc. I can see a credit check if the job entails handling cash etc. but some of the stuff going today on seems over the top. I had three small businesses, I never in a million years would have acted that way.

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/12/21 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by DonPablo
. I heard there was a legislator who was trying to make EO’s temporary unless confirmed by congress. Only the true patriots got behind this idea (in other words, almost no one).

Wow, that legislator must not have tried very hard. S/he didn't even submit it as a bill.
Posted By: kman2017

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/13/21 02:17 PM

You may want to educate yourself on "mimick a fully automatic rifle" as well. They don't, in any capacity do that. If you'd ever fired anything full auto, you'd know better.

Please do inform me of their purpose then. The device was made to be a workaround..... Just like pistol braces.
Posted By: kphilli66

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/13/21 04:23 PM

Why does anyone that knows how to shoot to kill, need to spray that much lead in an attempt to kill? If the bump stock is supposed to simulate a full automatic, that you CANNOT control where or how that gun travels is useful, then please explain. I would love to get an AR, but my wife's argument is, that she has seen me shoot and kill what I was aiming at, so why do I need it? I am only asking and do NOT want to create a hate storm, to much of that already in hunting today.

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/13/21 05:09 PM

Please do inform me of their purpose then. The device was made to be a workaround..... Just like pistol braces.

Just stop.

Now you are going after pistol braces...

Yeah, those are evil too. whistle They haven't been around long. wink

[Linked Image]

It's called "Freedom" in case you were wondering.

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/13/21 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by kphilli66
Why does anyone that knows how to shoot to kill, need to spray that much lead in an attempt to kill? If the bump stock is supposed to simulate a full automatic, that you CANNOT control where or how that gun travels is useful, then please explain. I would love to get an AR, but my wife's argument is, that she has seen me shoot and kill what I was aiming at, so why do I need it? I am only asking and do NOT want to create a hate storm, to much of that already in hunting today.

Ah.

I see the problem.

You have the 2nd Amendment confused with "hunting".

You seriously cannot come up with any uses for an AR besides shooting a deer from a blind at 80 yards? Really?

How about if you are calling coyotes and have 8 of them running in to stand at once?

How about if you are spotting and stalking 20 hogs out on a fresh plowed field while they are tearing it up, and need to lay down as many as you can before they exit stage left?

How about if a gang of thugs decide they want to come past you and your H&R single shot at 2am and get to your wife, kids, and personal belongings, and the Police are only 15 minutes away?

Reality bites. But you need to take the blinders off.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/13/21 05:22 PM

Dumping an AR mag has gone from $6.00 per mag to basically tossing a $20 bill on the ground.

High roller thread. clap
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/13/21 06:41 PM

Bump stocks are trash

YES SIR
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/13/21 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by colt45
Bump stocks are trash

YES SIR

I almost bought one at one point, just to have fun with. Let the kids burn up a bunch of ammo, but didn't. They look fun, but have no real purpose for hunting.

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/14/21 03:08 AM

I have a couple of guns that are fun to shoot, but pretty worthless for hunting as well. I still like to shoot them once in a while at the range.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/16/21 12:46 PM

With the exception of just a very few weapons full auto is a waste of time and ammo. Spent some time behind full auto weapons and found out real quick they're only for keeping heads down. I did have the opportunity to shoot a suppressed MP5 and found it to be very controllable in full auto, one of the exceptions. As a novelty item the bump stock is a fun way to spend some time but I don't think I could come up with a poorer way to try and hunt.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/16/21 12:53 PM

What is WRONG with simply doing it the right way?

Were that to happen much of what the liberals and some conservatives now call the Law of the Land would be thrown out the window, Roe V Wade is a perfect example.
Posted By: TexShooter101

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/18/21 05:30 PM

Yup yup.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/18/21 09:10 PM

JMHO- I don't have an AR or a bump stock either one, but the
way I figure it, as long as I'm a law abiding citizen, I should be
able to have whatever firearms and accessories that I want and
can afford. Ammunition and magazines included.
I don't scrutinize the legal possessions of another person, and I
demand the same from everyone else.
I hunt the way I want to hunt and leave the other guy to do his
thing the way he wants to. Just don't try to interfere with what I do
because it's not what you do
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Want to see Texas Legalize Bump Stocks - 04/19/21 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by HuntnFly67
Dumping an AR mag has gone from $6.00 per mag to basically tossing a $20 bill on the ground.

High roller thread. clap

clap
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum