Texas Hunting Forum

Dead Pigs

Posted By: Ol Thumper

Dead Pigs - 02/23/21 05:43 PM

I’m curious if anyone’s found or heard of any pigs dying from the big freeze? We haven’t seen or heard of any freezing to death but a guy can dream right grin
Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Re: Dead Pigs - 02/23/21 06:09 PM

I doubt it. Besides ones that where sick or already close to passing away.

They are the most adaptable animals. They are already living up in Nebraska, Indiana and other Midwestern states. They know how to make due with the cold sadly.
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Dead Pigs - 02/23/21 06:23 PM

I did notice that a sow that had 6 piglets was now showing up without them the last few days. So I think they may not have made it. smile
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Dead Pigs - 02/23/21 07:07 PM

Talked to a landowner in Central Texas that said he had found 5 dead pigs the first part of this week right after the big freeze out. He had also found some Blackbuck and Axis deer that had died from the freeze and mentioned all together, so I am assuming that he thought the pigs died from the weather also. No idea if it was anything else that killed them, but at least there are 5 fewer with a million to go on Gods earth.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Dead Pigs - 02/23/21 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hunter-Steve
I did notice that a sow that had 6 piglets was now showing up without them the last few days. So I think they may not have made it. smile

She'll replace them shortly.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Dead Pigs - 02/24/21 12:17 AM

Since wild boar do well in northern Europe, I very seriously doubt that we've seen anything more than the odd weak specimen die off. Look at the conditions in this video.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Dead Pigs - 02/24/21 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hunter-Steve

Boar probably had them for dinner
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Dead Pigs - 02/24/21 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by TexasOutdoorsman
They are the most adaptable animals. They are already living up in Nebraska, Indiana and other Midwestern states. They know how to make due with the cold sadly.

Keep going north, i saw a story awhile back that they are already surviving and thriving in Canada. Told a Canadian friend of mine that he might not have to come to Texas for hog hunting after all.

https://youtu.be/HuAoQR0Yeqw
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Dead Pigs - 02/24/21 01:58 PM

They probably thrived in it lol
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Dead Pigs - 02/24/21 05:02 PM

I have a friend who works for Colorado Fish & Game and he said they've accepted that there is now a viable population of wild hogs in the state and are taking measures to try to control (as opposed to eradicate, which they do not consider a possibility anymore). They'll keep pushing north and continue to adapt!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Dead Pigs - 02/24/21 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Exiled
I have a friend who works for Colorado Fish & Game and he said they've accepted that there is now a viable population of wild hogs in the state and are taking measures to try to control (as opposed to eradicate, which they do not consider a possibility anymore). They'll keep pushing north and continue to adapt!

Hogs aren't so much adapting as they push north, not in the sense that there are already plenty of feral hogs in areas farther north. As noted, they have them in Canada. That have some in several northern states as well.

As for Colorado not eradicating hogs, that is really wild. Colorado proudly announced last year how they were the first state to eradicate feral hogs...

https://gazette.com/news/local/colorado-becomes-first-state-to-eradicate-feral-swine/article_2b14f53a-4f87-11ea-be16-9369a119e7b5.html#:~:text=Colorado%20has%20become%20the%20first%20state%20to%20eradicate,to%20eliminate%20wild%20hogs%20that%20spread%20disease%20and
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Dead Pigs - 02/25/21 11:28 PM

I have been out 5 nights since the freeze. 1. Big pigs made it 2. Almost all animals moved or shifted. I have seen deer in places that I have never seen them. Same for Sounders. 3. Watched a small sounder of about 8 pigs last night and they were less than a year old but not piglets. If I observe anything new I will pass it along
Posted By: killen

Re: Dead Pigs - 02/26/21 01:54 AM

think it was covid that killed not cold
Posted By: TX_Kingfish

Re: Dead Pigs - 02/26/21 04:27 AM

Roaches, just roaches...
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Dead Pigs - 02/26/21 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by TX_Kingfish
Roaches, just roaches...

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum