Texas Hunting Forum

WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD?

Posted By: dustyhog

WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/10/21 07:24 PM

Was thinking about getting out one night this week and was wondering if you experts think the hogs will be moving searching for food or just stay bedded down to stay warm?
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/10/21 08:14 PM

Hogs will but I dont
Posted By: Cajunrotor

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/10/21 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
Hogs will but I dont

When saw the forecast I told my wife that I'm now officially OLD.....too darn cold for this mid-70s youngster! Long gone are the days when I could sit an open tree stand in twenty degree weather.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/10/21 09:09 PM

It sounds like just the young hogs will be out. roflmao
Posted By: Black Duck Dog

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/10/21 09:37 PM

Good stalking weather generally hear them squilling and fighting over there warm spots being bedded down . And yes they do hustle for food . So I will be watching over the pile of corn. Just my 2cents
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/10/21 09:49 PM

Hogs will but I dont

I can wait too
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by dustyhog
Was thinking about getting out one night this week and was wondering if you experts think the hogs will be moving searching for food or just stay bedded down to stay warm?

In 20-32 degrees? They won't hardly care. Down in the teens, they may huddle up more into piles between feeding periods. Calm or no winds and they will be out like it is a lovely sunny afternoon. High winds and they are apt to move about less out in the open. However, understand this. They don't give up eating and eating is what they do best.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 01:10 AM

Winds 14-17 basically Friday-Wednesday. Really cold nights, low single digits here on Monday night. Snow accumulations predicted on some days. They generally aren't for skipping a meal, but I'm thinking on some of these cold, windy nights with precip they will be hubblung for heat and survival. Forage during the day.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 02:10 AM

Low at Bowie is minus 3 Monday morning. I damn sure will be peeing indoors

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 03:51 AM

Here is some old pics and vid...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My first twofer was right after an ice storm, 25 degree. The pigs were huddled but had been tearing open patches in the field to get under the icy grass. This was back in the days of so-so digital night vision...which seemed great at the time. The recorder was an Angel Eye recorder that did not record sound. These were notorious for breaking.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 04:17 AM

If they have been hitting a feeder, then they aren't stopping due to the cold.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 04:52 AM

They were moving tonight.

First time ever, I about got hypothermia or maybe I did idk

Disoriented, vomited and confused

It could have been bad if not for a friend nearby.

The windchill showed to be 8°

Be careful out there I just walked in.

Crazy night

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 12:56 PM

Glad your okay !
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by procraft05

Crazy night

But, did you kill anything?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 02:41 PM

Crazy night

Take care of yourself. There will be many other nights that you can kill a hog.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 03:10 PM

Cold and wind can lead to dehydration too. Stay out there guys.
Posted By: Kodyjoe2016

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 03:30 PM

Yep they are moving in the middle of the day also. Drove by one of the wheatfields that i hunt at 2pm Tuesday and there were about 20 right by the hiway. Nope didnt have gun cause was headed to brothers house. They are rootin the ditches up too. One was run over Tuesday night

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Crazy night

But, did you kill anything?

I did not

It was about a 300 yard stalk and I was only wearing a hoodie like a dip.

I had been in the truck waiting until I picked up movement.

Didn’t think it would be a big deal

It snuck up on me quick

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 04:23 PM

Crazy night

Stay safe and get better. Generally speaking, vomiting isn't associated with hypothermia. You may have some other stuff going on as well.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 05:01 PM

Did lots of hog hunts on WMA's whin the snow hit... Me favorite time ta hunt...
up yes they'll move... & can find them (hogs) bedded down wind side of trees.
Fallen trees, can find several beds...
Keep your extremities, (head hands feet) warm...
Tis amazing the cold weather ya can take, keep moving, body generates heat...

Best wish's...

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Crazy night

Stay safe and get better. Generally speaking, vomiting isn't associated with hypothermia. You may have some other stuff going on as well.

I honestly think the vomiting was from the pain of my hands hurting so bad

No gloves, we were up in Oklahoma and it was pretty bitter
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 05:44 PM

We went out last night hunting in areas with equal opportunity for either coyotes or hogs. Coyotes were moving good, killed 3 pretty easy. Lots of jackrabbits out. Other than that it was dead. Didn't see a pig anywhere. But mostly we were hunting big open fields. Hogs were probably down in the protected bottoms. All the deer we saw were huddled up in bunches, bedded down on the south side of cover. Even the skunks weren't out and there are a lot of them this year. But who knows, could have just been one of those nights. Tonight should be slightly warmer, then the bottom is going to fall out.

Temp while we were out was 19 with a 10 mph wind. Wind chill in single digits. SE Tx Panhandle.

Couple of the coyotes we got were big healthy ones.

[Linked Image]

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/11/21 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by JTPinTX
We went out last night hunting in areas with equal opportunity for either coyotes or hogs. Coyotes were moving good, killed 3 pretty easy. Lots of jackrabbits out. Other than that it was dead. Didn't see a pig anywhere. But mostly we were hunting big open fields. Hogs were probably down in the protected bottoms. All the deer we saw were huddled up in bunches, bedded down on the south side of cover. Even the skunks weren't out and there are a lot of them this year. But who knows, could have just been one of those nights. Tonight should be slightly warmer, then the bottom is going to fall out.

Temp while we were out was 19 with a 10 mph wind. Wind chill in single digits. SE Tx Panhandle.

Couple of the coyotes we got were big healthy ones.

[Linked Image]

Great pic
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/12/21 07:06 PM

Now all we need to see after tonight is a photo of three dead hogs in the back of your truck.
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/12/21 07:27 PM

We were out again last night hunting coyotes. Coyotes weren't moving good (same conditions as night before, and they did move good then, but not last night?).

Anyways, we rolled up to a set of corrals where they feed cattle and there was a big sounder of hogs all mixed up in with the cows. Close quarters and everything started running. We had to let the pigs clear the cattle but then were able to put down a couple when the shooting lanes opened up. Cold didn't seem to be bothering that group of pigs, but it was the only ones we saw. Temp was 18 with a 10 mph north wind.

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/12/21 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by JTPinTX
We were out again last night hunting coyotes. Coyotes weren't moving good (same conditions as night before, and they did move good then, but not last night?).

Anyways, we rolled up to a set of corrals where they feed cattle and there was a big sounder of hogs all mixed up in with the cows. Close quarters and everything started running. We had to let the pigs clear the cattle but then were able to put down a couple when the shooting lanes opened up. Cold didn't seem to be bothering that group of pigs, but it was the only ones we saw. Temp was 18 with a 10 mph north wind.

Keep after’em !

Stay safe

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/12/21 11:24 PM

Hogs are like humans in that they are moving most of the day. The only question is whether or not you and the hogs are in the same place. So-called "nocturnal hogs" are moving in the daytime as well, just not in open areas where they recognize they are in danger. They will be found in the deep woods and creek bottoms, well away from normal prying eyes, right?

Yep, now it is colder and the hogs may change their routines, but they are going to eat. The only question is whether or not you are going to be where the hogs are. And that is the fundamental question most hunters don't ask themselves. "Am I going to be where the hogs are?" Instead, most expect the hogs to be where the hunters are. It just doesn't always work that way.

Last night I saw a lot of cattle out. The cattle were still plenty active, but they had changed their behaviors and were all on the leeward side of hills and woods, getting out of the wind, but they were active. If you weren't looking for cattle there, you might think they were gone or inactive. Instead, they were just operating where it was more comfortable for them.

You know if the deer are out, the hogs will be out. Hogs are better suited for the cold than are the deer, LOL.

So are the hogs going to be moving in the cold? Sure, unless they are dead, bedded to sleep, birthing, or sick. Otherwise, they need to find food for energy to stay warm like the deer, coyotes, etc.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/12/21 11:30 PM

Hogs will but I dont
Posted By: Douglas Tipton

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/13/21 12:42 AM

Was wondering if the little babies can survive below zero air temps plus a wind chill.
Posted By: Espy

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/13/21 12:55 AM

I usually get a couple of daytime pics and several nighttime pics of hogs. haven't received a hog pic in a couple of days.
Posted By: djones

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/13/21 12:58 AM

these babies simply couldnt survive under the harshest conditions

[Linked Image]
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/13/21 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by djones
these babies simply couldnt survive under the harshest conditions.

Yeah, that was pretty harsh.

Nicely done, though… banana

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/13/21 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by djones
these babies simply couldnt survive under the harshest conditions

One thing is certain, if you aren't out, you won't be getting any hogs. Nice job!
Posted By: Kodyjoe2016

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/13/21 02:39 AM

Made a round this evening right before dark checking wheatfields. None on the wheat anywhere but they tearing the ditches up at night. Guess they found something they like cause they got bout hundred yard stretch they are wearing out
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/13/21 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas Tipton
Was wondering if the little babies can survive below zero air temps plus a wind chill.

Hogs and cockroaches will be the only things to survive a nuclear holocaust.... roflmao
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/13/21 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Hogs will but I dont

I can wait too

up
Posted By: rickt300

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/13/21 05:48 PM

Well I am going out right now to check on my hog toys, putting on some long johns though.

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/13/21 07:34 PM

Well, we are now several days into this cold snap in north Texas. So even if the hogs initially hunkered down because it got cold, they are well beyond that point are will have to be out foraging for food and water. They are burning more calories than ever right now to keep themselves warm. They will be very hungry.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/14/21 01:05 AM

I shut down my traps for a while because of the cold....one door was even frozen open. I had to go out to that property late yesterday and went by the traps and dropped corn around and checked the camera. I had more hogs coming in than I have seen in quite a while ! I have to agree with Double Naught Spy that they are out and running....but I'm sure not !
Posted By: CoolBarrelBill

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/16/21 05:05 AM

From Hunt County

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/16/21 11:10 AM

Ol' boy there wanting to warm something up !!
Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/21/21 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas Tipton

Momma will bed down, dig a big furrow into the snow or soft ground, give birth and keep nursing the piglets, and not move until she is very thirsty. The mother pig keeps moving her body while laying down to generate heat to keep them warm. Once a piglet survives to a week old, they know to stay near mom and not wander off. Without the mother around, the piglets will pile up like a pyramid when cold to take advantage of group heat. The one at the bottom always keeps moving around and stirs the other ones up generating more heat. Even adult hogs will pile up to stay warm if it gets cold enough (below zero usually). A healthy hog's body generates a tremendous amount of heat... that's why they naturally like to eat and chew on things, as they got to store up body fat for cold times.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/23/21 03:52 PM

Hogs are like humans in that they are moving most of the day.

Interesting. I have VERY little hog experience, but I've had very few daylight encounters. From the trail cameras at the pond, it runs about 4-1 night to day. Need to get serious about clearing brush, I guess.

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 02/23/21 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Hogs are like humans in that they are moving most of the day.

Interesting. I have VERY little hog experience, but I've had very few daylight encounters. From the trail cameras at the pond, it runs about 4-1 night to day. Need to get serious about clearing brush, I guess.

Hogs are actually a diurnal animal. They don't even have a tapetum lucidum (membrane in eye that caused pronounced eye shine and helps crepuscular and nocturnal animals like deer or many carnivores see at night), but do seem to have night vision that is superior to that of humans.

If you can find a wooded property where the landowner doesn't allow hunting or only had hunting during deer season, there is a good chance that you will find hogs active there during daylight hours (not during deer season). If the property is large enough, you will likely find them out in open fields during the day as well, so long as they aren't being hunted. The problem with finding hogs in the woods is that your line of sight is quite limited. It is much easier to spot hogs in a big open field than to spot hogs in the woods.

I used to have some game camera set up on trails on my property and was surprised to see hogs on my property during daylight hours that never even came to my feeders. That seemed to go for some of the bigger bucks as well.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 03/10/21 07:26 PM

when they do sleep, its fun to see they pile up like a pile of watermelons

Re: WILL HOGS MOVE IN THIS COLD? - 03/10/21 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by colt45
when they do sleep, its fun to see they pile up like a pile of watermelons

Yeah it’s pretty cool
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum