Texas Hunting Forum

Okay Hog Behaviorists.....

Posted By: Douglas Tipton

Okay Hog Behaviorists..... - 02/07/21 05:07 PM

So I caught a vid of a boar hog carrying a bunch of grass in his mouth. The camera is on a fence and there is open pasture in the six o'clock position, so there is no area to "nest" in that direction. Any ideas? The rest of the vid is misc. videos of interest to me at least. You can see that the "Same Hog? post pigs both showed up in one video, so I confirmed they were two different pigs as I suspected. Also a vid of a big boar sniffing the scent mark spot from last week. There is a cool looking boar with a pronounced arched back. And, the farm is expected to have a pig bomb. I think up to 5-6 of these females are pregnant. I did get a hog Friday night but no blood, no recovery - shat was way back than I wanted. She crashed through the brush and I heard some very heavy breathing after the shot for about a minute. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/OBjGVrZHU7I
Posted By: dustyhog

Re: Okay Hog Behaviorists..... - 02/07/21 06:34 PM

Cool
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Okay Hog Behaviorists..... - 02/07/21 06:43 PM

The big bad wolf is going to blow his house down if he makes it out of straw roflmao
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Okay Hog Behaviorists..... - 02/07/21 11:30 PM

Nice
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Okay Hog Behaviorists..... - 02/13/21 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
The big bad wolf is going to blow his house down if he makes it out of straw roflmao

up

Re: Okay Hog Behaviorists..... - 02/14/21 02:20 PM

It looks like I stumped the band on this one. The only thing i could come up with is either a dominance display or some sort of courtship display, but on the latter hogs aren't really known for suave moves on the ladies. confused2
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Okay Hog Behaviorists..... - 02/14/21 02:28 PM

Boars make 'loafing nests' too. More often just a scratched out, cleared off place on the ground. But if needed they will 'pad' an area, root it around or even bring in grasses to make it more suitable.

So its not especially unusual to see one carrying grass or even small leafy branches. You just don't see that under the conditions most folks are hunting in. If you were to spend more time back in the secluded areas where they sleep and shelter....you would see more evidence of it.

Re: Okay Hog Behaviorists..... - 02/15/21 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Boars make 'loafing nests' too. More often just a scratched out, cleared off place on the ground. But if needed they will 'pad' an area, root it around or even bring in grasses to make it more suitable.

So its not especially unusual to see one carrying grass or even small leafy branches. You just don't see that under the conditions most folks are hunting in. If you were to spend more time back in the secluded areas where they sleep and shelter....you would see more evidence of it.

This has to be it, although the nesting areas are camera forward towards the creek. All pasture behind the fence the camera is on.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Okay Hog Behaviorists..... - 02/15/21 11:22 PM

Sounds to me like he knew the cold weather was coming and was making a nest for warmth.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Okay Hog Behaviorists..... - 02/16/21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas Tipton
Originally Posted by flintknapper

This has to be it, although the nesting areas are camera forward towards the creek. All pasture behind the fence the camera is on.

So....you've never been lost? wink
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum