Texas Hunting Forum

Trijicon Reap ir 35mm?

Posted By: Jasb

Trijicon Reap ir 35mm? - 02/02/21 11:47 PM

Anyone ever use one? Opinions?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Trijicon Reap ir 35mm? - 02/03/21 03:18 AM

Sure. Trijicon makes good kit. What are you using it for? Are you using it as a rifle sight? If so, they are lighter than the corresponding IR Hunters made by Trijicon, a bit more compact, and you pay extra money for that. The internals are the same as the IR Hunter which has a much more friendly user-interface. The Reap-IR uses a joy stick they call a thumb-something or other. It is mounted on the WRONG side of the scope for easy user interface for most right-handed hunters because you have to take you had off the grip/trigger in order to make adjustment, OR you have to reach over the top to the other side with our left hand to make the adjustments. While I don't doubt you can learn to be proficient with it, most folks don't get so proficient so as to be able to make changes on the fly when hogs are running, such as quickly changing the level of magnification. That isn't a deal breaker, just something awkward.

However, what I really dislike is having the recoil of the rifle be such that the thumbswitch joystick gets activated and the menu comes up with each shot. That is visually annoying and distracting, not to mention covering up part of your FOV during a critical time. Early on, IR Defense (before it was purchased by Trijicon) worked on this issue as stiffened the joystick and it helped some. So how much or how often this presents itself can vary between units and shooters/rifles.

Don't get me wrong. Some people love the scope. However, when I was involved with Third Coast Thermal, this was the one Trijicon scope about which there seemed to be the absolute most complaints and they virtually all stemmed from the joystick. People love the size, weight, and capability. The often think the joystick is really cool until they spend time with it in the field. The the coolness fades for most.

So, unless you are getting a screaming deal on one, or very much need the weight reduction, or maybe are a left-handed shooter, I would suggest the IR Hunter over the Reap-IR and you will save some money in the process.

That is my opinion based on limited use and based on feedback from several customers. Other actual owners may have a different opinion and may have some insights to better help you if you decide to buy one. I use an IR Patrol for a scanner in the field and it has the same funky joystick and there are times I find that it is just annoying.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Trijicon Reap ir 35mm? - 02/03/21 03:02 PM

I have a Reap IR 35mm as well was a IR Hunter MK III 60mm and an IR Patrol. Mine is the version 1 and is 5 or 6 years old. Never had an issue with it. I would agree with DNS in that I have always felt that they put the "joystick" on the wrong side. I guess I have gotten use to it. It is pretty much automatic for me to reach over the top and make changes. I will say that changing the mag isn't as easy as having a button to push. I do prefer the turrets on the MK III, but making changes as hogs are running is no easier.

Re: Trijicon Reap ir 35mm? - 02/03/21 04:29 PM

Thanks for the info!! I had to go ahead and do it since they gave a a dang good deal on a demo. Hope it is a good picture wise as I've been told. Again thanks for the help.

Re: Trijicon Reap ir 35mm? - 02/03/21 04:46 PM

I think you'll be happy with the image.

Re: Trijicon Reap ir 35mm? - 02/05/21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by dfwroadkill
I think you'll be happy with the image.

Wow it is a great scope. I did have to nuc it a couple of times but the image is clear AF. Woke up like 9 times just to look and see what was in the field! Killed 2 skunks and one porcupine last night just off the patio. Saw about 100 hogs a bit too far out! I'll be walking to them tonight! So happy

Re: Trijicon Reap ir 35mm? - 02/05/21 02:57 PM

You will have to nuc it more right after power on. It gets better after it is on a bit. You'll also get more and more used to operating it and it will quickly become mindless.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Trijicon Reap ir 35mm? - 02/05/21 04:02 PM

Good deal! Congrats!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Trijicon Reap ir 35mm? - 02/05/21 05:24 PM

Sounds like a winner.

Go get 'em!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum