Texas Hunting Forum

First one I ever snared

Posted By: SouthWestIron

First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 01:03 AM

Had a snare on a trail for at least 2 weeks. I'd drive by and tweak a little but yesterday i drove by and the old fence was shaking and moving. He was 91 lbs. I had just changed out my cylinder to the .22lr instead of .22 mag to save my mag ammo. Once I got into him with the gutless method I couldn't smell any sign of boar taint. Should make some good sausage.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 01:51 AM

Congrats on pig. 5 shots to find CNS is a bit wild! Happy eating

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by jdk1985
Congrats on pig. 5 shots to find CNS is a bit wild! Happy eating

I know! I can shoot but this guy was shaking off the .22 lr like they were bb's coming from a Red Ryder
Posted By: Chopperdrvr

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 02:12 AM

Don't feel bad, I recently needed 4 shots from a .40 SW to finish a big boar. He took 2 shots right through the head and out the lower throat area and one in the spine right behind the skull. Finally took a shot from behind the ear angling forward through the brain cavity to take him off his feet. They can be tough.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 02:18 AM

Good job, dead pig.
I bet a pig could do some damage with a snare tied to a fence. I have never snared a pig that I know of. I lost a few snares that got twisted to the point of breaking, I always suspected a pig might have gotten snared.
I use a .22 rifle for pigs in a trap. Backing up a bit lets them calm down for a one brainer.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 02:29 AM

Go thing that snare held. He would ripped a new b hole had he gotten lose.

Congrats.

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Good job, dead pig.
I bet a pig could do some damage with a snare tied to a fence. I have never snared a pig that I know of. I lost a few snares that got twisted to the point of breaking, I always suspected a pig might have gotten snared.
I use a .22 rifle for pigs in a trap. Backing up a bit lets them calm down for a one brainer.

Yeah my .22 lr rifle is down yet again. I have a newer model 60 Marlin that I'm really disappointed with. The tubular mag is held by a band and a pin and the pin keeps coming out and getting lost. Think its happend at least 3 times so far. Feel like welding that bad boy in place. Had one of the older Model 60s when I was a kid and the gun was full proof! Sure wish I had that original model 60 from back in the 80's. The quality on them has gone down hill tremendously.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 05:59 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 04:10 PM

Nice going!
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
Go thing that snare held. He would ripped a new b hole had he gotten lose.

Congrats.

I started putting some epoxy on the 'stop' of each of my snares and using swivels to prevent 'twist' damage to the snare....after having one pop the stop off of one as I was approaching.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: redchevy

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 08:59 PM

We use to snare a lot of them. Coming up on one about 250 lbs that charges will generally do one of two things, convince you to use a bigger gun or shoot from the truck.

Once that addrenaline is up and going ive seen them soak up a boat load of 22 lr before they go down.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 09:06 PM

My neck hurts.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 09:18 PM

Crazy hog. A dead pig is a dead pig. I use a .22 subsonic short behind the ear when we have the in a snare or trap. Of course my snares are tied to a t-post driven down about 3 feet. I'll video one next time.
Posted By: 1955

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 09:28 PM

Way to go! Congratulations! hammer
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/02/21 11:10 PM

Nice one

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/03/21 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by redchevy
We use to snare a lot of them. Coming up on one about 250 lbs that charges will generally do one of two things, convince you to use a bigger gun or shoot from the truck.

Once that addrenaline is up and going ive seen them soak up a boat load of 22 lr before they go down.

Yes sir think that is what this one did. I need a bigger pistol.
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/03/21 12:04 PM

Good job, dead pig.

A snared hog can do a LOT of damage to a fence. wink

One way to avoid that is to not tie the snare to a fence or post on the fence.

I used an old rolled up section of net wire fencing, and tied to that, then set in the hog path.

The snare still catches the hog, and it has give to it, plus a hog will not drag it far before hanging up on something.

Saves a lot of trouble and fence repair. smile

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/04/21 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by BbarVRanch
Good job, dead pig.

A snared hog can do a LOT of damage to a fence. wink

One way to avoid that is to not tie the snare to a fence or post on the fence.

I used an old rolled up section of net wire fencing, and tied to that, then set in the hog path.

The snare still catches the hog, and it has give to it, plus a hog will not drag it far before hanging up on something.

Saves a lot of trouble and fence repair. smile

I should have clarified this is on a section of really old fence that I snared him from. Its basically 60 yards of old fence that no longer fences anything in if you get what I mean.
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/07/21 08:00 PM

Just curious, was he snared behind the ears and didn't choke out, or in front? There was a guy doing hog control on one of the Hawaiian islands on another forum I am on, and most of his were DOA when he checked, so he didn't have to shoot them. If they weren't dead, it was usually because one hog knocked the snare down and another got foot caught in it. I am just curious the set up you us, how you set for them, and if they are usually are dead.

-TJ
Posted By: rickt300

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/14/21 09:07 PM

I used to do a lot of snaring and was surprised how many were still alive when I got there. Other hogs will kill a snared hog occasionally too. Smart not to wire your snares to fences that are good for anything. I liked deep pounded T posts.

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/15/21 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
Just curious, was he snared behind the ears and didn't choke out, or in front? There was a guy doing hog control on one of the Hawaiian islands on another forum I am on, and most of his were DOA when he checked, so he didn't have to shoot them. If they weren't dead, it was usually because one hog knocked the snare down and another got foot caught in it. I am just curious the set up you us, how you set for them, and if they are usually are dead.

-TJ

He was snared behind the ears. This guy was 91 pounds with lots of fat and the start of a shield. The shield on these hogs is thick if you haven't dealt with it before. Its basically like armor and this is what kept him from choking out. I think the hogs in the Hawaiian islands are more close related to domestic pigs whereas hogs down in Texas have a tremendous amount of Eurasian and Russian influence. These things grow big and have thick necks and armor. Recently shot one with my 30.06 from fairly close and the bullet had trouble penetrating the armor. They are tough!

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/15/21 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy

-TJ

Also wanted to mention this is one of my first snare catches. Basically just a big loop set on game trail anchored to an old cedar fence post with bailing wire.
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/15/21 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by SouthWestIron

Also wanted to mention this is one of my first snare catches. Basically just a big loop set on game trail anchored to an old cedar fence post with bailing wire.

Thanks for the response. I am always curious about folks set ups. I trap up here and we set snares for wolves, coyotes, fox, and lynx. I would think wolves are the closest, and we have several different set up's we use for them, including using kill springs. Nothing like having one live a while and get water head.

-TJ
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: First one I ever snared - 02/22/21 08:53 PM

never caught one in a snare - that's cool. Caught a beaver a few years ago with another snare still on him from a couple of weeks prior he had taken with him
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum