Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting strategy question

Posted By: Linux_Box

Hunting strategy question - 01/09/21 03:30 PM

I'm hunting on a friends land near San Antonio. ~135 acres with deer fence on right side. Back side and left side are regular fences to land owned by the same person (we have a good relationship with them). Front is regular fence to a normal paved/public road. Since the hogs on our land also frequent our good neighbors land (we see them during the daylight), they cross our fence line. While we have 3 blinds with feeders, we also hunt the back and left fence lines.

We've managed to get 26-28 hogs in the last 9 weeks or so. As such, they are getting a bit scarce due to hunting pressure. Pretty sure they are going more nocturnal at this time. I'm putting out cameras to verify when and where they cross.

Question 1: Should we stop hunting the fence line (we bait when we go out) to encourage them to come across? I'm thinking we may want to set up temporary baited locations 100+ yards inside our land get them onto our land. Hopefully they might stay after we shoot one of them from the sounder. Good idea? Any other ideas?

Question 2: Should I put out soured corn for a day or two before hunting it? Wondering if letting them have a chance to eat it without being shot may help "train" them.

We used sweetened corn (with kool-aid) which definitely helps with deer (I don't hunt them). Hogs seem somewhat indifferent although it may help attract them to some degree. We're starting to use soured corn... first batch (not hunted, just dumped) was absolutely a hit with them.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Hunting strategy question - 01/09/21 05:33 PM

The soured corn will help attract hogs, as they can smell it from some distance.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hunting strategy question - 01/09/21 06:45 PM

1. If you don't have legal written permission to hunt across the field (per Texas law concerning shooting across property lines), don't bait at the fence line. That is a great way of making sure hogs will move into non-shoot territory very quickly.

[You didn't say you baited the fence line, but you said you hunted there and were considering to start baiting inside the property, so I assumed you were baiting the fence line]

The best way to keep hogs off your property is to hunt them on a regular basis. Yes, they will go nocturnal as a first alternative and then if you hunt them at night, they will avoid the property all together and become infrequent.
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Hunting strategy question - 01/12/21 04:17 PM

With that many kills, you're probably putting huge pressure on them and they're not going to stick around. You've probably dispersed some sounders (or even wiped some out) and they will stay off your property for a while. We hunt 2,000 LF acres in Round Mountain and at the beginning of deer season, the ranch was overrun with hogs. At one of our setups we had three different sounders coming like clockwork to the feeder. Since then, we've probably shot 20-25 hogs and they completely disappeared from large sections of the ranch, and the others have gone mostly nocturnal. At the setup I mentioned, I shot 7 hogs from two different sounders in late October and on opening day of rifle season and since then, not a hog has hit that feeder at anytime.

I would definitely be liberal with the corn at locations that are further into your property and see what happens. You might try dripping some molasses on a couple of trees close to known travel corridors, they love that stuff. I don't bother with soured corn anymore, too much of a hassle and a stink and I don't see enough difference between the soured corn and the regular corn.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Hunting strategy question - 01/12/21 05:33 PM

Always leave them an in and an out they feel comfortable using.

Re: Hunting strategy question - 01/12/21 09:04 PM

Thanks for the input. Seems like my thinking was somewhat correct. We're going to start hunting/baiting deeper into the property to see if it helps. We do have 1-3 weeks between hunting sessions/being onsite, so that may help some.
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: Hunting strategy question - 01/12/21 10:35 PM

LB,

Have you considered trying to call the hogs in with an electronic caller? (The best sounds were developed by Glenn Guess at Hog Zombies)

In addition to traditional baiting, you might try using some scent lure as well. Tinks Power Hog Sow in Heat lure comes to mind.

Re: Hunting strategy question - 01/13/21 05:56 PM

I just got an electronic caller. Going to get some scent lures in the future. Going out to the camp tomorrow night for a 4 day visit. I'll do some scouting and try setting up baits/attractants in areas with recent signs of hogs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum