Texas Hunting Forum

Old man challenges !

Posted By: Old Stony

Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 01:16 AM

It is sure getting to be a challenge for an old guy like me to get these buggers out of a trap and into the truck.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 01:26 AM

My back hurts just looking at him.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 01:56 AM

Well, that is impressive. I tore some ligaments in my wrist trying to do that with a hog a good bit smaller (only 190 lbs). You are doing well for an old man.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 02:02 AM

Winches were one of the greatest inventions. At least for us more experienced (older) hunters. I really like my hitch hoist.
Posted By: Chopperdrvr

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 02:06 AM

That's a beast. Even with a winch it looks like a challenge. Nice work. I just want a younger hunting partner that likes to show how strong he is.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 02:09 AM

Dang, that is a big one.
I no longer lift big pigs.
We tie a rope to them to drag them out of the trap then drag them away from our hunting area so the buzzards can have them. Dead pigs don’t mind being drug a mile or so.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 02:23 AM

That is a big hog. I would definitely hurt something trying to move him by myself.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 02:26 AM

That’s a fair amount of pig right there.....

Leverage and mechanical assistance is your friend... up
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Well, that is impressive. I tore some ligaments in my wrist trying to do that with a hog a good bit smaller (only 190 lbs). You are doing well for an old man.

That's how they get us back! wink

Hope your surgery goes well and you recover as quickly as is possible.
Posted By: Scrmbr1982cj8

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 03:25 AM

He's a beast! Nice hog!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 05:25 AM

up

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 09:15 AM

I rigged up a boat winch some time back, and it's helped a lot....but sometimes trying to get one out of a trap is a challenge. I'm 75 years old now and had an injection in my spine two days ago. I hope I can continue as I am trying to get the total count up...I'm at 784 of them right now. I like getting out in the woods mostly for the exercise and I do enjoy hunting out there....so I'll keep trying as long as I can. My hunting partner is turning 80 next month and is in worse shape than I am....but we'll keep it up as long as possible.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 12:30 PM

[quote=Dead pigs don’t mind being drug a mile or so. [/quote]

True and hit me as funny this morning. Merry Christmas!

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 05:21 PM

I've drug a bunch of them....but sometimes I need to get them quite a ways over to my bone pile, and it really works better with them on the tailgate.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 05:34 PM

[quote=Dead pigs don’t mind being drug a mile or so. [/quote]

My wife thinks so.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 07:01 PM

Keep on keeping on

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/25/20 07:15 PM

Hey Lance...you still chasing the hogs ?
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/27/20 01:31 AM

Yeah, I quit loading 'em up several years ago.
Now I just take the leg quarters & back straps. The buzzards and 'yotes get the rest.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/27/20 01:40 PM

Good lord man
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/27/20 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Old Stony
I've drug a bunch of them....but sometimes I need to get them quite a ways over to my bone pile, and it really works better with them on the tailgate.

Me too!
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/27/20 02:06 PM

I turned 75 in early Dec., along with open heart surgery & diabetes, I decided to put a winch hoist on the back of the SxS. I have not had a chance to use it yet but I plan to find out how it works. Had company (BIL) for several days & he took some hog home with him so the freezer has room for more.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/27/20 02:37 PM

Well into Social Security age....
If they look bigger than 250ish I will use Kubota with front end loader so I can also weigh them before hauling to bone pile.
Less and they either get drug to bone pile with 4x4 Mule or retrieved for meat.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/27/20 02:52 PM

Getting them out of the traps have been the toughest thing for me. One of the traps is a metal cage that may be about 4’ high. I can’t crawl in there. Hurts my knees. So finally I took a long hoe handle, put a screw eye on one end and ran a loop of thin plastic covered cable through the eye and secured one end of the cable. Now I can reach in with the pole, tighten the cable loop around a pig foot and drag them out. The plan only fails when the pig is too big to drag, but that doesn’t happen often.

Next step, which I haven’t figured out yet, is how to use that cable loop idea in conjunction with my ATV winch.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/27/20 02:56 PM

[Linked Image]
I pull this trailer that I leave stashed in the woods. I've since moved the mount to the center. The best feeing about being old enough to have nothing to prove is the feeling you get from having nothing to prove. You know what I mean?

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/27/20 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
[Linked Image]
I pull this trailer that I leave stashed in the woods. I've since moved the mount to the center. The best feeing about being old enough to have nothing to prove is the feeling you get from having nothing to prove. You know what I mean?

Indeed I do
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/27/20 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
The best feeling about being old enough to have nothing to prove is the feeling you get from having nothing to prove. You know what I mean?

And then prove it - just to yourself!
Posted By: Espy

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/27/20 03:36 PM

Glad you had a winch to help you out. I shot a big bodied buck last week and had a hard time loading it up by myself. Taking a come a long from now on.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/27/20 04:39 PM

I rigged up a boat winch some time back, and it's helped a lot....but sometimes trying to get one out of a trap is a challenge. I'm 75 years old now and had an injection in my spine two days ago. I hope I can continue as I am trying to get the total count up...I'm at 784 of them right now. I like getting out in the woods mostly for the exercise and I do enjoy hunting out there....so I'll keep trying as long as I can. My hunting partner is turning 80 next month and is in worse shape than I am...but we'll keep it up as long as possible.

salute
That is mighty impressive, sir...
Last few years in texas spent many a days out @ OSBWMA, mostly for the exercise...
As someone else posted, get some youngsters ta help out... Enjoy your health, whin it's gone it gone..
Stay Safe...

edit : cheers just read your last post... Tis sure, your thankful for your health, same here..
Worked hard, & play hard... Days i go ta work, slow dawn & rest, had ta take, early retirement, just ta get bye, workmans comp twas a joke, they had lawyers on payroll. Disability - rofl as pappy say's: they csi (Gov) have all my medical records, except me autopsy report. . one must learn ta listen ta ones body... Whin feel up ta it, & have time ta recuperate, i be's out thar hunten/fishing...
cheers stay after em, (hogs), your an insperation, confused2 lots of people wanten help out with hog problem.... Problem tis, 98% of people learned they can make money off hog hunts, just like deer leases... Tis why i did me own thing... WMA's (public land)...
Spent many an hours, (exercising), huntsolo, it's not an executive hunt... Finding hogs twas the easy part, work begain getting em out... tis why, for me, (alien body parts), no gutting do one side roll over, replete, back pack...
Ya can bet your bottom $$$.. i'd be out @ OSBWMA doing the hog only, any legal means Jan-threw end March hunts...
@ work they called me muyloco caveman... just did it me own pace... tis dirty job, rofl some one gotta do it...

" like an old frat, i get riper with age...
pappy

flag

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/27/20 04:42 PM

I use my old goofy winch to load the deer too. I'm 75 now and lifting deer or hogs is getting to be a problem. I'm going to keep it up though as long as I can....as it's a lot more fun that just sitting on your butt at home, and it makes me get out and get some exercise. I am out checking traps and doing stuff like that 7 days a week, and I intend to keep doing it as long as I can !! I filled out my deer tags this year, and have 4 of them in my freezer !

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/28/20 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by colt.45
I rigged up a boat winch some time back, and it's helped a lot....but sometimes trying to get one out of a trap is a challenge. I'm 75 years old now and had an injection in my spine two days ago. I hope I can continue as I am trying to get the total count up...I'm at 784 of them right now. I like getting out in the woods mostly for the exercise and I do enjoy hunting out there....so I'll keep trying as long as I can. My hunting partner is turning 80 next month and is in worse shape than I am...but we'll keep it up as long as possible.

salute
That is mighty impressive, sir...
Last few years in texas spent many a days out @ OSBWMA, mostly for the exercise...
As someone else posted, get some youngsters ta help out... Enjoy your health, whin it's gone it gone..
Stay Safe...

edit : cheers just read your last post... Tis sure, your thankful for your health, same here..
Worked hard, & play hard... Days i go ta work, slow dawn & rest, had ta take, early retirement, just ta get bye, workmans comp twas a joke, they had lawyers on payroll. Disability - rofl as pappy say's: they csi (Gov) have all my medical records, except me autopsy report. . one must learn ta listen ta ones body... Whin feel up ta it, & have time ta recuperate, i be's out thar hunten/fishing...
cheers stay after em, (hogs), your an insperation, confused2 lots of people wanten help out with hog problem.... Problem tis, 98% of people learned they can make money off hog hunts, just like deer leases... Tis why i did me own thing... WMA's (public land)...
Spent many an hours, (exercising), huntsolo, it's not an executive hunt... Finding hogs twas the easy part, work begain getting em out... tis why, for me, (alien body parts), no gutting do one side roll over, replete, back pack...
Ya can bet your bottom $$$.. i'd be out @ OSBWMA doing the hog only, any legal means Jan-threw end March hunts...
@ work they called me muyloco caveman... just did it me own pace... tis dirty job, rofl some one gotta do it...

" like an old frat, i get riper with age...
pappy

flag

I bet you’re a hoot to hang out with
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/28/20 12:11 AM

It is sure getting to be a challenge for an old guy like me to get these buggers out of a trap and into the truck.
[Linked Image]

dang that hog's a hog

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/28/20 01:33 AM

I use my old goofy winch to load the deer too. I'm 75 now and lifting deer or hogs is getting to be a problem. I'm going to keep it up though as long as I can....as it's a lot more fun that just sitting on your butt at home, and it makes me get out and get some exercise. I am out checking traps and doing stuff like that 7 days a week, and I intend to keep doing it as long as I can !! I filled out my deer tags this year, and have 4 of them in my freezer !

Stony,

Thought about you today. I had dropped a boar last night right IN a mud hole and left it there until this morning to remove.

Too wet to get down there with a tractor without burying it up to the axles, so I had to drag the hog about 150 ft. to where I had laid out about 200' of cable and rope to pull it up the hill with my truck. After that...I could just drag it off.

I'm 66 years old, 6'-5", 260 lbs and still in decent shape.....BUT dragging that hog across the muddy terrain was still 'all I wanted and then some'.

I use a 'pickeroon' to pierce the area at the tendon near the hock and drag them that way. Gives me a good handle to work with. Easy to get them out of traps too.

Like you, I will stick it out as long as I can. Good job Sir, keep after them.

Flint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/28/20 01:35 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/28/20 01:41 AM

Very nice cutters on that boar.

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/28/20 02:03 AM

My goodness Flintnapper, that is a big hunk of hog. I know dragging them is a real pain, especially out of a trap. You seem to really have the whole process figured out though !
Posted By: Chopperdrvr

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/28/20 02:47 AM

Dang guys, I'm a young 70 yr old and y'all are giving me hope that I can keep it up for a bunch more years. Flintknapper, your hunting area looks a lot like mine: Wet, muddy, and dense. Gotta love Deep East TX.

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/28/20 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chopperdrvr
Dang guys, I'm a young 70 yr old and y'all are giving me hope that I can keep it up for a bunch more years. Flintknapper, your hunting area looks a lot like mine: Wet, muddy, and dense. Gotta love Deep East TX.

Yes Sir.

But that's not the 'thick stuff' full of Greenbriar, Blackberry vines, Sweetgum Saplings 12" apart, Peppervine, etc....

When they run off into that stuff....you either leave them 'lay' or prepare to leave as much (or more) blood trail as the hog.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/28/20 06:49 PM

I have a grapple on my FEL. Don't even have to get off the tractor to pick 'em up or drop. Sometimes though the sand is tooooo wet to drive the tractor on w/o some way to get the tractor unstuck. Then a chain and mule (SxS).
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Old man challenges ! - 12/31/20 10:46 PM

I've recently been using this sled to move them to the cleaning area/bone pile.

Works great as I just role the big ones over into the sled on it's side then just push the side down and its loaded. Smaller ones can be stacked on top.

Then drag with my SxS

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Old man challenges ! - 01/01/21 12:41 AM

Lot of work but in a fun way
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum