Texas Hunting Forum

Let's shoot some hogs

Posted By: mow

Let's shoot some hogs - 12/16/20 01:00 PM

Got me a hog Killin 12 gauge ar..and Sightmark wraith nite vision scope(we can't hunt at night in this lease) so plan on going to war with the porkers..here us my setup..with a 10 rd mag
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tw0fish

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/16/20 02:44 PM

I’ve never met a 12 gauge not suited to hog killing, but congrats anyway - looks like a fine setup smile
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/16/20 03:23 PM

Interesting 12ga. Shotgun for sure, what brand is i? I think the front sight is in your field of view?

Since you're not night hunting this won't matter, but I expect a shotgun blast is really going to create a whiteout for you with the NV Scope/Illuminator.

Good luck!

Charlie

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/16/20 07:56 PM

Hunting out of my bow blind..17 yards to feeder..using 00 buckshot..I'll post pix😁

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/16/20 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Interesting 12ga. Shotgun for sure, what brand is i? I think the front sight is in your field of view?

Since you're not night hunting this won't matter, but I expect a shotgun blast is really going to create a whiteout for you with the NV Scope/Illuminator.

Good luck!

Charlie

Thanks for the info..I'm new to nightvision..I heard if you put the ir under the barrel.it will cut down in that. I'll probably just point and shoot .FYI I won't be able to use it at my lease to nite hunt..I have a sil that has land I can hunt nights..but this trip is basically to get rid of hogs..not nigh hunt..that will. Some next week
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/16/20 08:41 PM

Is that the Wraith 4x? If so, your field of view is going to be really narrow at such short distances. The 4x really shines at 150 yard range but even at 100 yards the FOV is only 18ft. That's going to make target acquisition pretty tough. May not matter if your hunting stationary on a feeder but it will be difficult on moving targets.

I hope it all works out and you have fun with it. I have mine (2x version) mounted on a .223 AR and it's very effective in open areas under 200 yards. I think I'm going to try using the 940nm ir to see if hunting more brushed in areas is better. There is another post in the optics section where a users experience some good results under these conditions.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/16/20 08:55 PM

banana rifle
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/16/20 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sparta
I think I'm going to try using the 940nm ir to see if hunting more brushed in areas is better. There is another post in the optics section where a users experience some good results under these conditions.

I really think that is simply a matter that the 940 isn't as bright or has as much throw as the 850, plus sampling of circumstances. I have used both. Both reflect off of vegetation. How much light is being reflected back will depend on how bright the light is that is being projected, distance to the plants, and reflectivity of the plants. You really need to do a side by side comparing at the same level of brightness, not the same setting of power level because they are not comparable, but same level of brightness.

Photographers have this same issue of flash and foreground and background lighting as well which is not resolve by wavelength.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/16/20 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted by Sparta
I think I'm going to try using the 940nm ir to see if hunting more brushed in areas is better. There is another post in the optics section where a users experience some good results under these conditions.

I really think that is simply a matter that the 940 isn't as bright or has as much throw as the 850, plus sampling of circumstances. I have used both. Both reflect off of vegetation. How much light is being reflected back will depend on how bright the light is that is being projected, distance to the plants, and reflectivity of the plants. You really need to do a side by side comparing at the same level of brightness, not the same setting of power level because they are not comparable, but same level of brightness.

Photographers have this same issue of flash and foreground and background lighting as well which is not resolve by wavelength.

I have the Sniper Hog Light that allows me to switch out the LED module. I figured $30 for the module would be worth the experiment. What you said makes perfect sense. I have a habit of cranking my IR all the way up. I need to remember to adjust per my situation.
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/16/20 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by mow
Hunting out of my bow blind..17 yards to feeder..using 00 buckshot..I'll post pix😁

How does the 00 buckshot work for pigs? I’ve never considered it before, but I assume you’d have to be pretty close like you are planning....
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/17/20 01:56 AM

👍
Posted By: JCB

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/19/20 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sauerkraut
Originally Posted by mow

How does the 00 buckshot work for pigs? I’ve never considered it before, but I assume you’d have to be pretty close like you are planning....

I’ve been using 00 on hogs for about 6-7 years now. The 3” and 3.5” has been impressive. The 2.75” has been a little disappointing with the lack of pellets in the shoulder. It really just boils down to the 3 and 3.5 having more pellets to start with. I have only had 2 get up and both were with 2.75 loads. For spray and pray the 2.75” loads are the way to go though due to cost difference.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/19/20 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by mow

cheers that'll do-it... nice set up ?
flag
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/19/20 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sauerkraut
Originally Posted by mow

I've used it out to about 60 yards with success.
Posted By: Big8

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/19/20 09:55 PM

rifle

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/19/20 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by mow

Let’s see some pics
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/20/20 02:40 AM

1st round in Spotty was a slug, she ran about 25-30 yds, Brownie took a buckshot round and kissed the dirt. This was about 15-20 yds out of a pop-up.

[Linked Image]

Charlie

Posted By: Ed Jr.

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/20/20 05:58 AM

Ever try 000 Buck? Used that in N.Carolina on deer.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/20/20 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Jr.
Ever try 000 Buck? Used that in N.Carolina on deer.

I have some but never used it.

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/20/20 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
1st round in Spotty was a slug, she ran about 25-30 yds, Brownie took a buckshot round and kissed the dirt. This was about 15-20 yds out of a pop-up.

[Linked Image]

Charlie

Good ones

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/30/20 06:20 PM

Wind was blowing about 40mph..although in my face..didn't matter jcb aka hog killa got one about 3 miles from my place in the same wind..I'm snake bitten..(metaphorically)
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Let's shoot some hogs - 12/30/20 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by mow
Wind was blowing about 40mph..although in my face..didn't matter jcb aka hog killa got one about 3 miles from my place in the same wind..I'm snake bitten..(metaphorically)

cheers every one gets hit with a bad spel ...
flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum