Texas Hunting Forum

Tearing up my coastal

Posted By: SouthWestIron

Tearing up my coastal - 12/08/20 02:26 AM

Hogs have always been on my place but have never ventured out into the coastal. Now I have some deep craters all the sudden this year. Well I've moved out to the my place now and am trying to wage war on them. 3 around this size so far this month. Have several other big boars coming and going on the property I need to shoot. This one was descent size at 174lbs. Shooting a 30.06 and got within 75 yards of him. Although I smoked him under the feeder the 150 grain bullet hit the other side of his shield mushroomed and didn't penetrate! I think this is what caused the blowback on the lungs through the entrance wound.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/08/20 02:40 AM

I have the same problems. Got a Pulsar thermal scope, but have trouble staying up to use it. That a good shot on that hog.
Posted By: Tw0fish

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/08/20 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by MWTX270
I have the same problems. Got a Pulsar thermal scope, but have trouble staying up to use it

Tell ya what.. take a nice long nap on the afternoon.. you might like the night life :lol:
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/08/20 12:14 PM

Neighbor didn't have damage from hogs while they were tearing up my place. I kill all I get a chance on. His coastal patch is across the fence from my entrance and he now has quite a bit of damage in the hay field. And they are digging up my entrance road regularly - mainly in the two tire tracks- rough as __ll!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/08/20 02:23 PM

Nicely done
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/08/20 02:36 PM

up
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/08/20 03:38 PM

Very good!

The coastal grass is where I do some of my best hunting...
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/08/20 03:48 PM

Being in the agriculture brush control business, and having to bounce over hog damage in my tractors makes me cuss those hogs, and hate 'em even more than normal. wife

I started going prepared for seeing hogs out on ranches where I shred. I let the ranchers know I have a rifle in the tractor, and will shoot hogs and coyotes on sight...

They are ALL glad I do! smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/08/20 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by BbarVRanch
Being in the agriculture brush control business, and having to bounce over hog damage in my tractors makes me cuss those hogs, and hate 'em even more than normal. wife

I started going prepared for seeing hogs out on ranches where I shred. I let the ranchers know I have a rifle in the tractor, and will shoot hogs and coyotes on sight...

[Linked Image]

Sweet setup!
Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/08/20 09:23 PM

That Tractor is as clean as the rifle grin
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/08/20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer

[Linked Image]

Sweet setup!

+1
cheers coolpics
flag

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/08/20 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by BOLT GUY
That Tractor is as clean as the rifle grin

laugh

That's my old, dirty tractor!

Kidding aside, I like to keep all my equipment clean and serviced. Last longer, and are worth more that way.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/08/20 11:27 PM

Nice shooting
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/09/20 01:00 AM

I was killing about 6 every trip at a friends place in Lometa. They were always out in his coastal fields digging holes. Finally he decided to get a trapper.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/09/20 12:43 PM

They came through and rooted up my hard packed rock driveway staying just out of eyesight. You can hardly dig a trench with a pickaxe through it and they turned it like a plow had come through.

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/09/20 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by yotehater
They came through and rooted up my hard packed rock driveway staying just out of eyesight. You can hardly dig a trench with a pickaxe through it and they turned it like a plow had come through.

I've seen them do that too.

One place was rooted across an all weather gravel road that was base material that had been hard packed for years. I doubt I could have done that damage without a backhoe.

My next question was: "What could a hog possibly find to eat in a hard packed gravel road? realmad
Posted By: Sooner75

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/09/20 08:34 PM

nice shooting
Posted By: Chopperdrvr

Re: Tearing up my coastal - 12/10/20 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by yotehater

I've seen them do that too.

One place was rooted across an all weather gravel road that was base material that had been hard packed for years. I doubt I could have done that damage without a backhoe.

My next question was: "What could a hog possibly find to eat in a hard packed gravel road? realmad

Minerals.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum