Texas Hunting Forum

Wild Hog Recipe

Posted By: HogNut

Wild Hog Recipe - 11/16/20 01:45 AM

Anyone have any good recipe's for hogs?
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/16/20 02:36 AM

Hamberger, we seasoned ta flavor forbreakfest sausage, make back, take small patty fry, taste, add season & so forth...
We used it for hamberger helper, spagettee, chilli, tater tot caseral.
Any thing used hamberger, used it, even plain old burgers...
Nothing fancy...
Recipe sectionmight be good place ta look

food they have some Awesome recipies...
flag
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/16/20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by colt.45
Hamberger, we seasoned ta flavor forbreakfest sausage, make back, take small patty fry, taste, add season & so forth...
We used it for hamberger helper, spagettee, chilli, tater tot caseral.
Any thing used hamberger, used it, even plain old burgers...
Nothing fancy...
Recipe sectionmight be good place ta look

food they have some Awesome recipies...
flag

What he said… https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/20/1/recipes-cooking-cleaning-preparation

Like colt.45 I make a lot of ground meat. I generally don't use it for hamburgers though, it's usually too lean for that. Otherwise it's a very good substitute for ground beef.
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/16/20 05:12 PM

I've used this recipe for pig shoulder and ham and it's delicious. I usually double the amount of white wine:

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/bone-in-blade-roast-with-root-vegetables-recipe

Also, wild pork makes really good chile verde or chile colorado (anything that is highly seasoned and slow cooks). Here is a chile verde recipe that's similar to what I've done in the past:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chile_verde/

Let me know if you find a good one. Always looking for new recipes.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/16/20 05:15 PM

Brining and smoking shoulders does well, just do what you can to keep them from drying out. Also like cooking ribs on them if they have some fat to them.
Posted By: Tw0fish

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/16/20 06:02 PM

I’m thinking carnitas! Google around for the spices. The secret to really good carnitas is to make ‘em in a Dutch oven- you want it to slow cook until most of the liquid is gone, at which point it’ll start to fry instead. Takes a good long while, but worth it.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/16/20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Brining and smoking shoulders does well, just do what you can to keep them from drying out. Also like cooking ribs on them if they have some fat to them.

yes
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/16/20 06:38 PM

I make a mix of Tony Chachere's , honey, mustard or dijon, and brown sugar and rub it on the.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/16/20 07:52 PM

Did Bill loan you his phone. rofl
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/16/20 08:49 PM

roflmao dos xx
Posted By: RidesNHunts

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/17/20 05:12 PM

Put a big chunk in a crock pot. I like a chunk of shoulder. Cook it like you would for pulled BBQ pork, but instead add a bunch of Mexican spices. I like lots of ground cumin, ground ancho chilis, some Mexican oregano, chipotle, whatever else you want to throw in there. Cook it till you can pull it apart with forks. Add some more spices. It's delish on tortillas with salsa, some guacamole, queso fresco, pico, cilantro, etc. Add some margaritas or a good beer, and you're set.
Posted By: foxrocket

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/17/20 06:36 PM

Cooked whole on the bbq pit, basted with vinegar, lemon, onion, garlic mixture. After a few hours it'll be tender, just pull off the meat and eat it.
Posted By: mtredriader

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/18/20 12:29 AM

Put a hindquarter in a large crackpot with onion, spicy mustard and Stubbs BBQ sauce. Let it cook for 6-8hrs, shred and serve on Hawaiian slider buns. Simple and delicious.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/26/20 12:01 AM

One of the ways we eat it
When grinding I will add bacon ends and pieces into the grind
Patty into patties and grill
Boar burgers really good

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/26/20 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lance Vick
One of the ways we eat it
When grinding I will add bacon ends and pieces into the grind
Patty into patties and grill
Boar burgers really good

Sounds good
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/27/20 09:14 PM

This was a ham and shoulder done in the smoker the same way I do beef brisket. Everyone loved it. Forgot to take a before pic, but here it is chopped and ready to serve.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/28/20 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by NicS
I've used this recipe for pig shoulder and ham and it's delicious. I usually double the amount of white wine:

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/bone-in-blade-roast-with-root-vegetables-recipe

Also, wild pork makes really good chile verde or chile colorado (anything that is highly seasoned and slow cooks). Here is a chile verde recipe that's similar to what I've done in the past:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chile_verde/

Let me know if you find a good one. Always looking for new recipes.

I did two small shoulders today. I missed the part about doubling the wine, I used white and way too much thyme. It was still darned good. I’ll either double it next time or even try red wine.
Posted By: Woj

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/28/20 01:54 PM

I never throw a backstrap into the bone pile.

Pork backstrap:

Brine 24 hours (+ / -)
Per pound:

2 cups water
1 table spoon salt
1 table spoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon pepper corns whole
2 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
3 inch stem rosemary
1 sprig thyme

Mix to dissolve ingredients, after it dissolved, put pork straps in. Refrigerate and rotate the meat every once in a while while in the fridge.

Before prepping to cook, pull the meat out of fridge, and rinse off with running water. Rinse it off for 30-60 seconds. dry off with a paper towel. Then put the meat on a paper towel in the fridge for a bit. The dryer the better before searing.

Coat lightly with McCormick chicken/pork seasoning.

Seer the loins in a cast iron pan using olive oil or bacon fat or whatever you like at 400 degrees. Put on smoker/grill/oven at 300 degrees. Baste once at the 15 min mark with melted butter with ground pepper, lemon & herbs. Cook until it’s internal temp of 145 degrees.

@ 145 degrees, Pull off and cover with aluminum foil and let sit for 10 minutes.

Ready to eat.
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 11/29/20 12:31 AM

Get some nicely cubed hind quarter. Season. Wrap each cube with a half slice of bacon.
Skewer with your favorite veggies to make shish k bobs.
Grill. enjoy
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 12/01/20 02:29 AM

Good ideas. Glad you liked it!

Re: Wild Hog Recipe - 12/01/20 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by vanguard
Get some nicely cubed hind quarter. Season. Wrap each cube with a half slice of bacon.
Skewer with your favorite veggies to make shish k bobs.
Grill. enjoy

Sounds good
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum